PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 (5T060H6) Deal?

cisbell
08-28-2001, 10:36 PM
Hello everyone!

I have someone who wants to sell me a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 60 (model number: 5T060H6) for $157 + $8 shipping. Is this a good deal? Is this drive better on the higher end of the spectrum compared to MacGurus DiamondMax 40 drives sold?

A little background:

I'm converting my CD collection, rather large one, into MP3s to eventually build an integrated home entertainment system. I'm currently using an 18GB drive which I'm consuming at a fast pace. Will this Maxtor drive have the throughput to handle my needs for storage and playback? It will be running on a Power Computing PT Pro 250 with an XLR8 MACHCarrier G4/450 MPe card and a Sonnet Tempo UltraATA/66 card. There's a lot of other hardware but it shouldn't affect drive performance. I can say, there are already two 18GB ATA/66 drives running on the tempo card so the new drive will be the third. Should the drive be primary/secondary or will this not matter?

Any comments or input would be appreciated. I have to let this person know asap so a quick reply from anyone, especially Gurus would be a bonus! Thanks,

Craig

------------------

magician
08-31-2001, 02:50 PM
i would do it, especially if you have recourse in the event of a problem.

if your other IDE drives are working ok for audio stuff, you should be fine, i would think.

Tylor
09-01-2001, 02:24 AM
I'd say go for it. that's a real good deal if it's a Diamondmax Plus. I had two of those on an Ultratek ATA card before I sold my Beige G3 to get a 9600. They're wonderful drives, as ATAs go. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

cisbell
09-03-2001, 09:38 PM
Thanks all! I purchased the drive already and just bought HD SpeedTools from the Gurus! Can't wait to give it a go!

Craig