PDA

View Full Version : Who makes cd-r found in imacs, iBooks?

Splinemodel
08-29-2001, 11:15 PM
The title says it all. I'm wondering where I can get a good price on a small cd or cd-r with the locking-center-clip.

THanks

dragon_x
08-29-2001, 11:45 PM
Apple gets (OEMs) there parts from various personal computer vendors - like Sony, Pioneer, Teac, Mashusta (not sure of spelling), IBM, Moto, Quantum, Maxtor, etc... It could be anybody.

I think the early iMacs essentially used PowerBook CD-ROM drives. Not sure what is used for the slot loading iMacs since their logic board is more like a G4 cube (mini-tower) than the old iMacs. At least they set the new iMacs up for standard DIMMs, instead of the SO DIMMs.

You should check out XLR8yourMac on this. They have a database of drives - you can check to see what works in the old iMacs. I assume your CD drive is broken?

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

Splinemodel
08-31-2001, 12:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
You should check out XLR8yourMac on this. They have a database of drives - you can check to see what works in the old iMacs. I assume your CD drive is broken?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I just need a CD-drive for my "RAID-in-a-box" concept. Basically, a gossamer mobo with a stripped down 8500 ps and a RAID wedged in a suitcase, LCD panel cut into top.

I have all of the plans worked out, just need to find parts. cheap is good.

Mactacular
08-31-2001, 02:20 AM
As far as I know, current Apple CD-ROMs are Matshita brand, the CD-RWs are Sony, DVD-RWs are Pioneer, and CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drives are..... Matshita also? Not really sure on that one.

------------------
ObsoleteMac
members.tripod.com/threedeefx/index.htm (http://www.members.tripod.com/threedeefx/index.htm)