PDA

View Full Version : IDE cable for new G4

Jan
08-01-2001, 08:50 PM
Hi,

Can someone tell me if I need to buy cables to install 2 extra HDs (IBM Deskstar 75 gb) on a new G4. Does the new G4 already come with 80 wire for 2 extra HDs? What are the specs of cables I would need? And How many of them? Can I get them here at Macgurus?

Thanks,
Jan

ChrisYip
08-01-2001, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that on my G4/Yikes box, the main IDE cable had one free fitting for a drive - don't recall having to get a new cable when I put in a spare drive.

Chris

kaye
08-02-2001, 10:47 AM
Yes we carry some of the Granite cables here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?idepagesofheck.html and scroll about half way down the page. But I don't know if you can install two extra drives for a total of three. I would think not, based on the information on that link, master and one slave, but someone else will have to answer that. My guess is that you would need a PCI IDE Host Controller, even further down the page for VST and Sonnet. But I'm shooting in the dark here because I don't have any IDE stuff. k

marcchem
08-03-2001, 11:35 AM
Jan:

The new G4 (assuming you don't mean the Quicksilvers just introduced) has two sets of IDE cables, one for the drives in the upper part of the tower and a second set for the hard drive(s) mounted in the bottom of the case. The hard drive cable should be at least ATA-66 compliant (that is ATA-66 drives function at full speed; ATA-100 drives act like ATA-66 drives and older ATA-33 drives act like themselves); I'm not sure if the CD-RW/DVD cable set is also ATA-66. You can pull the stock drive and install both 75 GXPs (which are, I think ATA-66 only) in the bottom of the G4 and put the stock drive in a Firewire case. If you want 3 drives down below, you will need to buy an ATA PCI card, since the cables only support 2 drives apiece. You could also install a 3rd drive below the CD-RW/DVD bay, but it might run only at the slower ATA-33 speeds and it is a little more difficult to get the metal housing with the drives open.
You can go to www.xlr8yourmac.com; (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com;) there is an illustrated guide to how to install a second drive in a G4 tower that is really useful! Also, if you have 3 drives in the bottom of the case, you will need a power "Y" splitter since the power cable for the stock HD has only 2 connectors. I don't think replacing the stock cable with Granite IDE cables would be a good idea unles they have an ultra short model since a typical IDE cable is either 18" or 24" in length which gets a little difficult to fold up.

lasvegas
08-04-2001, 02:29 AM
The "upper" IDE port is ATA-33 intended for the ATAPI CD and Zip drive. It could, but shouldn't be used for fixed disk drives.