PDA

View Full Version : 4400/200 drive upgrade

tex
08-01-2001, 12:10 AM
I am in desperate need to upgrade my hard drive from the original 2gb. Which one do ya'll suggest? And what is the difference, if any, between a ide and eide drive or are they the same thing. Apple spec sys that mine is ata type connection. will an ultra fast eidde drive like a maxtor or western digital work?

kaye
08-02-2001, 10:39 AM
Can someone help tex? This IDE stuff is out of my element, an old dog who can't learn a new trick. k

DHB
08-02-2001, 12:17 PM
tex...

I'm not terribly familiar with the details of a 4400, but...

You should be able to get any of the smaller "ide" drives that Maxtor sells
(eg. 15 or 20 gig) and not have any problems. Much larger drives may work OK as well. The version of Mac OS you are running can limit the maximum size of drive you can use.

Using the onboard ide controller, you probably won't get the max performance from it when compared to a PCI ide card (eg. VST's is real nice and does support ide cd-roms/-r/-rw drives as well, but takes up a precious PCI slot).

The drive upgrade database at xlr8yourmac.com lists several 4400s with successfully upgraded ide drives...I don't think you have any show-stoppers to worry about. BUT be sure you know what you're doing at install time regarding Master and Slave jumpers, etc. Knowing the specifics of your onboard ide controller will help in your decision making. Not all of Apple's ide controllers support both a Master and Slave drive (as is typical in the PC world). Nor do they necessarily have TWO channels (ie. for two cables, two drives per cable) per controller.

If you should go with a PCI-based EIDE card be aware that the eide drives used with the card MUST be formatted for use with the card; the Mac sees them as SCSI drives. Any ide drives used on the built-in motherboard bus are seen and formatted as genuine eide drives. You can't swap the drive from onboard controller to PCI-based controller (or vise-versa) without reformatting the drives (ie. wiping out ALL the drive's data contents).

Regarding ide, eide, atapi, udma, ad nauseum...
The terminology is pretty much interchangable in this scenario; but you will see mostly "ATA..." specs for drives and PCI controller cards. Virtually the only 'types' available today are the "ATA..." spec'd drives.

ide - Integrated Drive Electronics
Eide - Enhanced...
udma - Ultra Direct Memory Access
atapi - I've forgotten http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/eek.gif
ata... 33, 66, 100 - theoretical maximum Megabytes per Second throughput of the interface (ONLY one drive currently exceeds the 33 spec)

These days, you'll see mostly "ata33", "ata66", "ata100", PIO modes (1 thru 4) stated in specs and marketing poop. You probably have PIO mode 3 at best with the onboard ide controller. Go to storagereview.com and look around for the explanations of the various flavors of the 'ide' drive interface.

Also, be aware that ide drives from different manufacturers sometimes don't co-exist well on the same ide cable (as Master & Slave). I've had ibm's 70gxp drive not play well with a Western Digital ide Caviar drive, for example.

This can be a real show-stopper if you want to copy the data from the 'old' smaller drive to the new bigger, faster, drive using the same channel on the ide controller. If you have TWO channels then one drive per channel when copying the data from old-to-new should work fine IF the drives are jumpered correctly.

If you've had any successful SCSI experiences (eg. termination, scsi ids, etc.) then the ide schemes should be a piece of cake. I find PC folk with only ide experience are frequently befuddled by the rules of scsi.

Measure twice...cut once - as the carpenter's say. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

lasvegas
08-04-2001, 02:17 AM
atapi - Refers to removable media ATA devices. IE: CD-ROM, Zip, Etc.