PDA

View Full Version : New Drive in Beige G3

mbroski
07-23-2001, 09:27 AM
Gurus!

I just bought a new drive to put in my beige G3. I would like to take the old drive and put it by the CD player. How come the cables don't match up? Can you tell me what kind of adapter I will need to make the cables fit?

Many thanks,

Economonk

jorge
07-23-2001, 08:29 PM
where did you get the new drive and what is it?

j

mbroski
07-24-2001, 12:10 AM
Well, it's a Western Digital 40 Gb that I bought from OWC. (That was before I discovered the gurus. Thanks to the latter, I'm a proud owner of a rockin' new xlr8 G4 466 upgrade and new PC133 RAM. )

The hard drive fits perfectly into the slot where the Main beige G3 drive went. So I figured it would be no problem to move the stock G3 drive over to the empty slot by the CD player. Why should the pins be different since they are both IDE drives, right?

Economonk

dragon_x
07-24-2001, 01:42 AM
The pins might be different if you have a SCSI setup. Standard IDE/ATA Is 40pin. Narrow SCSI is 50pin and Wide SCSI is 68pin. Sometimes you can get away with mixing WIDE/NARROW SCSI, but you can not mix IDE/SCSI that I know of.... you would need more than a simple adaptor anyway.

You may have a REV A bG3. I think this only has one IDE/ATA3 channel and can only support one drive, so its possible your HD is IDE/ATA while your CD is SCSI. You can get an ATA/IDE PCI card - they are faster than your stock bus, but I do not think they support removablees (like CDs, DVDs, ZIPs, etc..).

GL

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

batmantis00
07-24-2001, 03:12 AM
the g3 mobo has 2 ata/33 channels and one 50 pin scsi. revision A macs shipped with scsi zip drives (those that had zip drives). I havent hear of them shipping with scsi cd drives, although I assume it is possible. however, it strikes me as unlikely. however, i suspect you have a revision A motherboard, which is to say it also has a revision A ROM, which means that it will only support one ata device per channel. if your cd drive IS scsi, you are fortunate because that means you still have an extra ata channel for your new drive. if not, then you will have to either find a revision b rom (it took me months of ebay scouring) or replace an ata device-either cd-rom of the original hard drive-with the new ata device.

to determine what revision rom you have, look in the apple system profile. under the system profile tab, the last listing is product information:the first line under this heading is the ROM revision

$77D.40F1
$77D.40F2 is revision A
$77D.45F1 or
$77D.45F2 is revision B

hope that helps

mbroski
07-24-2001, 05:20 PM
Well there's no doubt that I've got a Revision B Rom board. My ROM number is $77D.40F2

Let me repeat the steps I have taken so far:
1) buy new IDE Drive
2) install new IDE Drive where main harddrive used to be.
*** Everything works fine up to this point.

But when I want to move my old drive to one of the slots by the Zip drive and CD ROM drive, I'm surprised to see that the the old drive doesn't fit the available plug on the ribbon cable.

This is puzzling because they all seem to be IDE drives.

mbroski

batmantis00
07-25-2001, 12:21 AM
sorry, but no, you dont have a revision b. you have a revision A. .40F1 and .40F2 are both referred to as revision A. (I have never actually seen .40F1, but they are rumored to exist). the cable i think you are trying to attatch the drive to is the same that the zip drive is connected to. it runs to the scsi bus. if you look in the system profiler under devices and volumes it should have "Removable media" under SCSI Bus 0. probably ID 5. that is the zip drive.

mbroski
07-25-2001, 02:09 PM
This is a big help, but I thought all revision A machines 50 mhz bus. My bus is 66 mhz.

So the long and the short is that the only way I can add a drive is to add a SCSI drive. Right?

Thanks so much for your help.

mbroski

batmantis00
07-30-2001, 03:49 AM
All beige g3s shipped with a 66mhz bus. You can overclogk it to 75 or 83, if i recall, which will get you some small performance gains. Information on how to, or rather links to how to do this are posted elsewhere on the site. Poke around xlr8yourmac.com if this is interesting. Also of interest is a PDF file in the mac gurus ftp site that has ALOT of technical information on the beige g3s. I believe it is called PowerMacG3.pdf. If you are going to add a scsi drive, I suggest getting one of the OEM Ultra2 cards the Gurus sell on this site, as midrange U2 scsi drives arent terribly more expensive than narrow ones, the card is only $90, and the ultranarrow scsi bus on the motherboard is limited to 5 mb/s (normally ultranarrow scsi would be 20mb/s). The reasons for this are explained in the pdf. If you have finding any of this stuff, just say so and I will look for the links and post them in a few days. I would right now, but I am about 5 minutes from the bed. Goodluck.