PDA

View Full Version : remove SCSI install IDE

jcasteel
07-23-2001, 01:32 AM
I currently use a G3 (Beige Revision 1 - Gossamer, I believe) as a mail server. I want to put a large harddrive in this machine and also use it for storage of the creative department's art. To remove the small SCSI drives (2) and replace with an IDE drive (> 60GB) what will be needed?

It appears only a cable and a drive. Is this correct?

As I have a revision 1 logic board I do not have slave support. Is it possible to upgrade to support of master/slave?

Alternatively I could use a different G3 (beige, ROM version $77D.34F2, 220Mhz). I can't identify this machine from your website but I assume it is even earlier than the above Gossamer. Might this machine support slave/master?

Ideally, I would like to install a VST Ultratek/66 IDE PCI controller, 2 >60GB harddrive and use Raid 1 for mirroring. Is it possible to do this with the machine I have? I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I thought I'd try.

PS. I am backing up the creative information but would feel even safer in a RAID 1 environment.

TIA, jcasteel

jorge
07-23-2001, 07:28 PM
yes you can install a VST Ultratek with dual 60GB drives. As for the raid, Softraid doesn't support it and many people have done it. That would be your choice.

My experience with a server and IDE drives is one year drive life. The server environment is so demanding the drives fail. It could be my luck or space monkeys, but I figured I would pass it on.

j