PDA

View Full Version : Configuring Sonnet UltraATA66 PCI Card

Jim Hef
06-12-2001, 01:01 AM
I purchased the Sonnet card today to connect to my IBM 60 Gig drive. After downloading the firmware 3.12 update and installing it, I hooked everything up and rebooted. Rather than initializing the already formatted and loaded disk, I tried "Update Drivers" from the FWB Toolkit. The drive was quickly recognized and I didn't need to initialize, repartition, and reload all my files and applications. I wanted to pass this along being that the manual states you will need to initialize the disk, losing all data. It may only work if the drive is formatted with FWB HDT. Sustained Reads benched out at about 35,000 KB/sec and sustained Writes benched at about 55,000 KB/sec. This is contrasted by the stock Quantum 6 Gig drive that benches at 10,000 and 11,000 respectively.

dragon_x
06-12-2001, 09:21 AM
I think the statment that you need ti initialize the HD assumes that either:
a) You IDE/ATA HD is unformatted
b) It is formatted as a standard IDE/ATA drive

As we all know an IDE drive connected to the IDE/ATA PCI card formats as a 'SCSI' drive. I would bet you could do the same with SoftRAID, Intech. Apple drivers only seem to be able to update when you install a new OS or when you reformat.

magician
06-15-2001, 06:05 AM
decent.

marrand
07-14-2001, 04:16 PM
Please help me with installation of Tempo ATA66/new IBM 75GXP 60GB deskstar. My system: G3 Desktop rev.1 (originally 266, upgraded with Sonnet G3/500), 384MB RAM, built-in ZIP drive. OS 9.0.4. Here is what I did:

1. Installed the Temp ATA66 in the last slot. The first one has OrangeMicro Firewire/USB2 card,
the middle one is empty. The system profiler recognizes Sonnet card as SCSI card, ACARD 6260, vendor 1191.

2. Installed the IBM HD in the upper bay, and made the connections using the cable supplied by Sonnet. I did not adjust the jumpers; factory default was set for master.
3. After booting up from system CD, the Apple Drive Setup (version1.9.2) did NOT show the HD present at all.
I was expecting it to be on SCSI chain, ID3 as per instructions. All I saw on the SCSI bus was the ZIP at ID5

I rebooted from my main drive and ran Norton, FWB v.4 and TechTool Pro 3 utitilities. None could see the new HD. In fact, FWB said there is no drive present on SCSI ID3.

After disconnecting the cable from ATA66 card, I downloaded the firmware 3.12, but before completing the installation, the window showed that my version is 3.12.1; so, I didn't continue.

First I tried the PCI slot further away from bracket. Then the otherslot, closest to bracket.
I tried Sonnet cable, and then I tried the one supplied by IBM. I could not get the Apple setup to "see" the new HD.
The cable was NOT crimped, since I did all the work without replacing the G3 cover. The new IBM HD was powered, since I heard a slight whine, felt the slight vibration, and after a while, it was slightly warm to the touch.

[This message has been edited by marrand (edited 14 July 2001).]

dragon_x
07-14-2001, 07:26 PM
I would try hooking the IBM drive up to your stock IDE/ATA bus. Even though you have a REVA it still should support a single drive, even if different from the factory installed one. I've upgraded a few REVA bG3s with new ATA/100 drives without issue. You can then boot of the CD to check if its there.

Maybe the jumpers are wrong with the Sonnet card?

Maybe the IBM drive is bad?
Maybe the Sonnet card is bad?

gl

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe

marrand
07-14-2001, 07:42 PM
thanks dragon. you see, my main drive, attached my stock IDE/ATA bus, is already a new IBM drive installed
last year (75GXP, 45 GB). So, my G3 does support these types of drives. Now I am struggling to put in a second IDE.

Jumpers wrong with Sonnet card? I followed instructions; the factory default is master, and that's what Sonnet calls for. I will wait a few days to see if some wise guru will uncover what I did wrong. Then I will return the drive back to buy.com.(already requested RMA #). In the meantime I will see if I can borrow someone's spare drive, and test to see if Sonnet card is ok. Also wrote to Sonnet, but now they are enjoying their weekend.

marrand
07-14-2001, 09:51 PM
dragon_x: you suspected the brand new drive? I did too, and encouraged by your comments I took it to my son
(who is a Windows guru of sorts). Well, it was dead when hooked to his machine.
So, at least for now, I know what to do. Thanks.

wingman
07-18-2001, 07:39 PM
marrand (and dragon_x),
from comments and database on xlr8yourmac, it looks like ibm deskstars (75gxp and 60 gxp) in a rev 1 b/w can suffer data corruption as a master or slave in master/slave config, and when used ALONE on the system's ide bus: http://xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/BWG3_rev1_IBMdeskstar.html, http://xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/IDE/

you might want to check for corruption on 75gxp just to be sure. download HDcorruption_test Folder from gurus: ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/misc_utilities_stuff/
there should also be a link to it at on the above xlr8yourmac pages. some say they've had no probs, so you might be one of the lucky ones. but if you get it, you're going to want to attach it the tempo as well. btw, i've seen no problems with the a 45gb, 75gxp attached to a tempo.

[This message has been edited by wingman (edited 18 July 2001).]

marrand
07-18-2001, 09:33 PM
wingman: you suggested data corruption in a rev 1 b/w. Mine, however, is Beige G3 desktop rev. 1. Does that make a difference?
Also, how can I check for data corruption if my new IDE deskstar isn't even seen by the drive set-up? I presume you meant AFTER it's installed and working; is that right?

BTW, I have had a 45GB 75GXP deskstar on the system's IDE bus, and it working just great. Should I worry about its data corruption? (I hope I didn't confuse everyone: the new 60GB deskstar will be my SECOND IDE connected via Sonnet ATA 66 card).

wingman
07-19-2001, 04:17 AM
marrand,
sorry, thought you were talking b/w not beige -- b/w rev.1 are notoriously prone to data corruption.
yes, to check data corruption, you'll need the new hd up & running -- it's a small application.
as for your old drive, should be fine -- haven't seen as many complaints with beiges compared to b/w's. could always run the prog for the heck of it.

[This message has been edited by wingman (edited 19 July 2001).]

trag
07-19-2001, 12:13 PM
I helped a friend install a Sonnet ATA66 card in an S900 many months ago and we found that the cable had to be plugged into a particular connector on the card. I can't remember whether it was the front or back one, but a single drive just wasn't recognized unless we plugged the IDE cable into one particular connector on the Sonnet card. I think that was actually documented in the manual, but who reads those...I certainly didn't until I had problems.

wingman
07-19-2001, 05:02 PM
trag is on the money. a single cable goes on the connector closest to the bracket -- right there in the instructions.

[This message has been edited by wingman (edited 19 July 2001).]