PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor 80 GB DiamondMax

kstewart
06-14-2001, 05:51 PM
I am trying to figure out if the Maxtor 80 GB DiamondMax internal will work on my beige 300 MHz computer. I am fairly certain that my computer supports slave/master config based off what I've read. My manual says I can, and I assume since I have a 300 MHz that I have a rev 2.

What I really don't know is if the drive will work with whatever kind of ATA/IDE I have inside my mac. The drive is advertised as an ultra ata/100. Also, if anyone knows, if the internal drive works with my machine, how does performance compare to the 80 GB Maxtor firewire drive.

Thank You.

Louie
06-14-2001, 08:54 PM
If your Apple System Profiler shows a ROM subversion of 4.5F1 or F2 you have a Rev B machine which supports Slave devices on each ATA bus.

Your machine has a very slow ATA 3 controller. In order to preclude timimg issues between the slow controller and the fast drive, I suggest you format the new drive with InTech's HD SpeedTools 3.2 which can automatically set the single page, multipage and DMA modes properly. See http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?intechsoftware.html .

I recently installed a 20 GB Maxtor Diamondmax Plus in my wife's beige G3 using SpeedTools and it has sustained read and write transfer rates of about 16 MB/s. That's about double the factory IBM drive.

We have a new line of ATA drives at http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?idepagesofheck.html .

Louie
06-14-2001, 09:00 PM
BTW: kstewart

Tell us if it is a DT or MT and we can tell you how to install it. The one I did was a DT. The new drive went in the upper left bay on a Gurus sled. I changed the CD player to Slave and the last (empty) connection on the ATA Channel 1 cable fit right on the new drive (set as Master).

kstewart
06-15-2001, 01:54 PM
I have the drive now and it works (at nearly 16 MB/s) except for two things.

1. I couldn't see any way of sliding the drive on any sleds of the two bays open (i don't have an internal zip). Do I need to go and buy mounting hardware in order to secure it in the top bay (this is where I want to put it).

2. After formatting (and what it lists before) the drive says its capacity is only 76.3 GB when the maxtor website specs says the drive is capable of 81.9 GB after formatting. Can I do anything to get this extra 5 GB. Even though 76 GB is tons of space, 5 GB is nearly the size of my old HD and I don't want to lose it.

Thank you guys for previous and future advice : )

Louie
06-15-2001, 02:47 PM
You never said, but assuming you have a DT model, you need a drive sled for the upper bay. Look here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/obj_show_page.cgi?mgscsibezelsandsleds.html . At the bottom of the page. I believe it's the K8030. Just specify upper bay. The lower bay sled is different.

Hard to say about the formatted size. Maybe their quote was for a PeeCee.

What did you use to format? If you didn't use SpeedTools, you had best use the corruption test in "HD_coruption_testFolder" on our FTP ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/misc_utilities_stuff/ . You may need Fetch or Interarchie.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 15 June 2001).]

kstewart
06-15-2001, 03:37 PM
I don't know what DT and MT stand for. The drive didn't come with anything to mount it with so after looking at those kits I'm thinking thats what I need.

I used Drive Setup to initialize and it tells me the drive has a capacity of 78167 MB = 76.335 GB. Would it have more room if I installed it on a PC? 5 GB seems like a big difference in just initializing it.

Thank you for your help

Louie
06-15-2001, 06:58 PM
DT means DeskTop model and MT means MiniTower. "Upper Bay" implies to me that it's a DT. Does it look like the lower picture here http://www.apple-history.com/quickgallery.html?where=g3.html ? If so it's a DT and I know that a sled is needed. You screw the drive to the sled and the sled slides right in on the rails and snaps in place.

Louie
06-15-2001, 07:10 PM
PS: I don't have any idea how much space the driver partitions use for a PeeCee because I don't do PeeCee's but it's a logical possibility. If you are really concered that Maxtor cheated you out of some space, you could do a low-level format and reinitialize to be sure all extraneous stuff is off the drive.

I don't know how big the ATA driver partitions are with Drive Setup. The SCSI driver partitions that the latest Apple Drive Setup write use 707.5 kb.

Did you format with HFS+? You should.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 15 June 2001).]