PDA

View Full Version : I killed my drive-guru advice requested

henry
06-11-2001, 11:39 AM
Is it back to the upgrades for idiots class? I recieved the IBM 75gig drive & dual cable as ordered but I reversed master and slave connections during installation/ TPO cable requires reversed positioning of stacked drive from G4 stock cable and I hooked master drive to middle plug in error. Well the master 20gig died the next day. OK, I replaced it with a 40g Maxtor and now have the IBM waiting for reinstallation. Maxtor is running Premier OK now with my Miles2 & Barracuda 18g for video.
Before I try reinstalling the IBM as slave I need ask- (in dual 450/G4) is a slave config optimal for video editing or is a VSTcard a better way to feed the 75g IBM. I've done numerous Mac upgrades (my 6th Mac),just got careless- I didn't see the error till reading proper cable plug ident on Maxtor config website. Gonna move the Miles/Barracuda to 9600 for music recording, most likely- can't afford a Cuda array for video (dv) right now.

dragon_x
06-13-2001, 10:12 AM
I'm not IDE/ATA expert.

It seems you are saying that reversing the cabling caused your drive to die. This does not sound right.

In any event - I'm running several ATA/100 drives off stock ATA/3 (beige) buses. They work great. Your G4 has an ATA/66 I think and the cards are only ATA/66 anyway. So as long as you only need 2 drives - you are fine.

The DVD/Zip ATA/IDE bus is ATA/3, if I'm not mistaken.

------------------
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Louie
06-13-2001, 05:18 PM
Just be certain the jumpers are correct. Check at the Maxtor and IBM sites. Some ATA drives have more jumpers than just Master and Slave. You will probably be OK running UltraDMA 100 drives on the UltraDMA 66 bus; you don't have much choice since the ATA cards are all UltraDMA 66.

You should check for HD corruption periodically for a while. Download HDcorruption_testFolder from our FTP site at ftp://ftp.macgurus.com//ftp/misc_utilities_stuff/ .

The best way to avoid HD corruption from controller timing issues is to use InTech HD SpeedTool 3.2 http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?intechsoftware.html .

henry
06-13-2001, 07:18 PM
Thanx for the tips. HD Speedtool looks to be a must have. Is there any point in auto spin up disable for a single slave dr? I just config the IBM 75g as slave and everybody should be happy? yes? This is my first attempt at IDE upgrade/install.

Louie
06-13-2001, 07:39 PM
Why would you want it not to mount?

henry
06-13-2001, 07:51 PM
Why,indeed? Ok, had to ask,no idea what other jumper options I needed to be aware of. I don't want to lose another drive to inexperience.

Louie
06-13-2001, 09:46 PM
I'm a SCSI guy. The ATA stuff I mess with is my wife's G3. From what I've seen, ATA drives don't have alot of fancy settings like SCSI such as Spin Delay, etc. The settings are fairly simple, but each maker is a little different. Some have just "Master" or "Slave". Others add "Master Only" and "Master with Slave". Maxtor has "Cable Select" (don't use that; PeeCee's only). I see no reason to disable auto-spin.

The term "single slave drive" is redundant. Each channel can only have one Master and one Slave.

Check their sites. I don't know your drive models, but here are the basic links:

http://www.maxtor.com/Maxtorhome.htm

http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/macfaqs.htm

NOTE: For your IBM drive, the setting should be for logical head 16.

Louie
06-13-2001, 09:54 PM
Just out of curiousity, why does TPO cable require the Master to be connected at the end connector? What is a reference. I'm learning ATA.

Louie
06-13-2001, 10:02 PM
OK; I see on IBM's site where they say that you should use 80 wire cable with ATA 66 controller to ATA 66 drive and use the blue connector to the controller, black to the Master device and gray to the Slave.

I doubt that would cook a drive; that's for optimizing the signal. The extra 40 wires are for shielding.

Louie
06-13-2001, 10:42 PM
Henry; if you get HD Speedtools, it has a test program called "Integrity" for checking HD corruption.

henry
06-14-2001, 06:18 PM
Louie, OK,thanx again. For the record, I was on line and the screen froze.When I rebooted, G4 couldn't find any system folder. Apple disk setup didn't see the master drive. Pulled drive and tried it in a G3, same symptoms, wouldn't spin up. Was the day after I installed the IBM75g slave./// Drive was a 20g 5400rpm Maxtor that came installed from Apple. All drive jumpers were correct, except that slave was on master connector and master on center connector. New 7500rpm Maxtor seems ok,
though ATTO Protools shows only 16megs per sec write, 30mps read, initialised w/apple disk setup. Maxtor is ATA66/100 rated. Good enuf for a system drive I suppose ,though orig 5400 drive showed 28megs/sec read/write. I'll give it a try with HD Speedtools this weekend.
The IBM75 & cable I got from Gurus last week. Please ask someone if this is really OK for a DP450/G4,previous generation Mac as slave.

Louie
06-14-2001, 08:36 PM
I really don't know about ATA cable. What did the machine have from the factory, 40 wire or 80 wire? Magician may know. My local Chinese Mom and Pop PeeCee store owner says there is no need for 80 wire cable unless you have a ATA 100 controller and a ATA 100 drive. I think your controller is ATA 66; no faster, maybe slower. With slower ATA it didn't matter what order the Master and Slave were in.

Best run that HDcorruption_testFolder thingy till you reformat eith SpeedTools.

magician
06-15-2001, 05:00 AM
you are correct, Louie, though some believe that using the 80-pin cable is better from the standpoint of signal quality. It is required for ATA100 for sure. I'm not certain about ATA66.

since i rarely mess around w IDE hardware, i haven't done any sort of testing either way.

i can say that I seem to recall that it doesn't really matter whether an IDE drive is jumpered as a master or a slave....both will perform equivalently. The whole purpose behind the ID scheme is just that: to identify each drive from the other.

Louie
06-15-2001, 03:17 PM
IBM says with ATA 66, the Master goes on the far end and to use 80 wire cables. Do you think they could know better than my Chinese Mom and Pop PeeCee operator?

henry
06-15-2001, 05:39 PM
Thanx for advice. I've ordered Norton and Disk Warrior. Will Download Speedtools this weekend--and figure out some backup strategy -it is about time I did.