PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor HD: slave or replacement?

Ednor
06-07-2001, 09:36 AM
Ok. I've received the Maxtor 30g HD and mounting sled (curiously, made by Radio Flyer). Inside my bG3 266, connecting the HD to the motherboard is a ribbon cable with only one connection on each end. I understand that this mochine supports only two IDE devices.
Question 1: Which devices are IDE besides the original, 4g HD? I'm guessing the CD-ROM, which has a similar cable plugged in next to the HD cable.
Question 2: (the big one) Do I back up all the data on the original HD and simply replace it with the new one? Or do I buy a new ribbon cable that can has an extra plug for the new HD and designate it a slave? Or would I designate it a master? I don't like losing the 4g of storage, but if it won't run two hard drives, well, so be it. Any swift replies or thoughts would be appreciated, as I'd like to screw this thing together tonight.
Thanks in advance for walking this greenhorn through the process.

------------------

dragon_x
06-07-2001, 10:32 PM
REV1 G3s do not support two drives per bus. It does have two IDE/ATA buses, but you can only hook one device to each bus. You will need to backup the 4G and then install the 30G and restor. You might want to get an old slow 'cheap' 50pin SCSI drive. This will allow to to transer files to the SCSI and keep that as a temp/backup drive until the 30G is running.

You would set the 30G to either Master or Single, depending on the jumper settings. Often there is a schematic on the drive itself, or you can go to the web site.

Another option would be to get a IDE/ATA card. This would give you a little better throuhput, but I've found that installing ATA/66/100 drives on the stock bus does show some real improvements.

------------------
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Ednor
06-08-2001, 01:42 PM
Thanks, dragon. And to think I had nothing to do this weekend. As for those fish, hey, don't mention it. We've tons of trout here in Montana.
(Seriously, I have NO idea what fish you're talking about....)

cwalcott
06-08-2001, 02:25 PM
How do you frind out what the rev version is for a B&W G3?

- chris

Ednor
06-08-2001, 03:58 PM
To determine the revision of your G3:
In the System Profiler, look under "Production Information" within the System Profile tab. The first number ($77.D 45F6 or something like that) identifies which revision you've got. To see what those are, go to crucial.com and use their configuration search to find the match for that number, and it'll tell you which revision that is. Or was it everymac.com? One of those two.

magician
06-09-2001, 02:25 AM
we have that info on our logic boards pages on the main site.

where in Montana? Just curious.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif