PDA

View Full Version : Why does my BW G3 keep killing Slave Maxtor HDs?

indigo
05-02-2001, 02:44 AM
About 18 months ago I installed a Maxtor Diamondmax Plus hard drive in my rev. 1 B&W G3 as a slave to the OEM hard drive. I know these computer's don't support slave drives very well, but my set up worked without problems for over a year. About 6 months ago, the drive gave up the ghost and would just click repeatedly usually at random, but also when I tried booting. None of the usual disk utilities could see the slave maxtor. I returned the drive under warranty and installed the replacement. The replacement worked well for about ten days before it exhibited the same symptoms, ultimately joining its sibling in the great hard drive heaven. Again, the drive was replaced under warranty. HD #3 performed admirably for nearly six months until it died the under the same circumstances. The drive is being replaced under warranty, but I don't want to put it back in the B&W since it seems like I've got a serial HD killer hiding somewhere in there. Has anyone else experienced similar problems with Maxtor Diamondmax plus Hard drives? I'd hate to invest in a firewire enclosure to find that it happens again. Is it all due to the unhappy nature of slave drives in the Rev.1 B&W?
I back up my data regularly, so I haven't lost too much data, It's just a pain in the a*s to have to open up the box and replace a hd on a fairly regular basis.

RedPhoenix
05-02-2001, 08:38 AM
The Rev. 1 Yosemites have some sort of pathological aversion to slave drives. Check it out at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/IDE/ .

YTou can either invest in an external drive or buy a PCI IDE controller card.

jorge
05-02-2001, 10:17 AM
if a slave drive is not supported and you know it isn't, why try it? You are walking the thin line of major data corruption and worst case, frying the ide chip!

j

indigo
05-02-2001, 11:03 AM
I guess my real question is, is this a common problem with Maxtor drives? This is the first maxtor I've owned so my experience is obviously very limited with them. I went with the Maxtor based on the reports at www.xlr8yourmac.com (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com) that, at the time, said that those drives seemed to work fairly well as a slave in the yosemite. I'm more interested now to figure out if I should cut my losses on Maxtor hard drives and forgo the purchase of a firewire enclosure or a pci card. Can anyone comment on the longevity of these HDs?
thanks http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PENDRAGON18
05-02-2001, 12:06 PM
at the time, (XLR8) said that those drives seemed to work fairly well as a slave in the yosemite.

OK, but in the REV1 or REV2 Yosemite?
ANY SLAVE drive with a REV1 Beige or BlueG3 is iffy at best. Maxtor has a good rep (I just bought one) so the drive itself should be fine. I think a IDE/ATA card or FW box would be a good invenstment. I would probably go with Firewire, but then FW is not as stable as IDE/ATA or SCSI right now. So a PCI card is probably your safest bet at this point. Remember though that the Mac formats the drive as a SCSI, so you need to back it up and reformat. Of course you should ALWAYS have AT LEAST one back of ANY important files.

gl, hth, ymmv

RedPhoenix
05-02-2001, 12:48 PM
If you were to stick a Maxtor on a PCI controller, I'd say go right ahead. I've had 3 Maxtors so far (20, 30 and 40 GB) and I've yet to see one fail me. I've got one in a Rev. B Beige DT G3/233 and two in a 400 MHz B&W (Rev. 2)

Sticking *any* Slave HD in a Rev. 1 B&W is doomed to be a waste of time and an exercise in frustration.

RP

indigo
05-04-2001, 12:14 AM
Thanks for reassuring me about Maxtor drives. I'll likely add a PCI controller card. Aside from the VST model, are there any recommendations for good, reliable, bootable pci cards?
thanks for your help.

Dogbert
05-10-2001, 02:31 AM
I've had good luck running on a Sonnet PCI IDE card on my 8600/250 with a 300Mhz G3. It was running nder a really early firmware revision until last week. (the version listed on the sticker attached to the card was wrong) It wold warm boot fine, but if I left the machine off for any length of time, it wold take a while to get the drives to come up. Put the new firmware on, and it's running great. I suppose I would have fixed this sooner if I ever turned this machine off. And they are working on OSX support for this card. If I recall correctly, the new firmware handles OSX fine. I'll let you know. I'm going to see how it runs on this unsupported machine....

------------------
TANSTAAFL!

Deckard
05-28-2001, 10:43 PM
Wasn't some company selling Rev. 2 ROM cards for those Rev. 1 G3's awhile back to fix that slave drive corruption problem? I think they were at least $30, but well worth it if you have the problem. I'm sure they were snapped up quickly. I don't think they ever got them back in stock.

indigo
05-28-2001, 11:31 PM
I've heard people mentioning the fact that some company was selling rev 2 rom cards, but no one can remember which company. I haven't been able to come across anyone yet. I'm still looking though http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Deckard
05-29-2001, 11:47 AM
Well actually, I believe it was OWC (Other World Computing). I generally don't like to mention other companies here at Gurus for products they compete with in selling, but I don't think the Gurus ever sold those Rev. 2 ROM cards.

A quick search of http://www.xlr8yourmac.com will turn up the answer, since that's where I read about the sale of this limited supply of those babies.

Hope this helps.

kaye
05-29-2001, 01:42 PM
Right, OWC, but long since out of them. k