PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk SpeedTools, poser question...

Deckard
05-12-2001, 08:23 PM
I finally got the 40GB Maxtor and intstalled it in a Pyro 1394 case from ADS. So far so good, at least until I had moved some data over to it and the included FireWire driver utils (came with the ADS case, can't recall the name) failed to let the drive mount after the fifth or sixth time. The Mac OS just said it was unrecognizable and asked if I would I like to initialize it. Did it, reinstalled the same drivers. Same thing happened again a couple days later after several good mounts.

So, I ditched the ADS OEM'd software and got a copy of Intech's HD SpeedTools 3.2 to try, since MacGurus thinks so highly of them. In any case, HDST simply won't see the drive. No matter what I tried, disabling the Apple FW extensions, using CC to disable many others, cursing, absolutely nothing will make it show up in HDST's window.

So, I went with the Heat Utilities 1.2 drivers, and all is well. No failed mounts asking me to reinitialize, all is well. However, I have the nagging question about why Intech's driver won't work. Any ideas here?

magician
05-14-2001, 03:33 AM
you have to install the HDST FireWire extension in the extensions folder for it to see attached FireWire devices.

PENDRAGON18
05-14-2001, 10:57 AM
With 9.1 you shouldnt need 3rd party drivers. What system are you running?

Deckard
05-14-2001, 04:14 PM
Well magician, I did install the HDST FireWire extension in the Extensions folder, I'm sorry if that was not made clear in my first post. I assure you I'm am not a Mac newbie, been supporting them for over 10 years. I ran it through the installer and again checked it with CC to make sure it was there. Doesn't work in any combination -- HDST alone, with Apple's FW extensions (2.4), whatever. The Heat Utilities 1.2 driver is the only one that works, and it's free. Go figure.

Only reason I want to use HDST is that the Gurus recommend it so highly. Opinions seem to run either very hot or very cold with HDST, either people hate it or they love it, no in between there. Since I trust the Gurus, just thought I'd try it. Oh, and the reason I'd not using the FW 2.5 extensions, I understand they're only for OS 9.x.

I'm running Mac OS 8.6, and I apologize for not giving a full system config from the start. Guess I have to type that thing up and paste it in from now on. I'm not running any version of 9.x -- not 9.0.1, 9.0.3, 9.0.4 or 9.1. Ain't gonna happen until I either win the lottery or can get my older equipment to play nice with Mac OS 9.x (like my video card, Apple's damned LaserWriter bridge software they won't update, which has no other solution under $100 (thanks Apple!), the mulitude of legacy SCSI devices I have among other crap).

Thanks for you help.

[This message has been edited by Deckard (edited 28 May 2001).]

magician
05-14-2001, 06:21 PM
deck, there are supplimental FW extensions included in the HDST folder which are required for some backplanes. I have yet to encounter a device which could not be handled by HDST, so my gut-feel is that you were misconfigured somewhere. It's easy to do....and certainly something that Intech and others need to consider is improving ease of use, auto-sensing of bridge chipsets, firmware revisions, etc.

Louie
05-14-2001, 11:31 PM
He's right about OS 8.6 can use only FW 2.3. Maybe it's not mature enough.

magician
05-15-2001, 06:48 AM
quite possible, Louie.

a lot of folks seem to be hanging tight at 8.6. My feeling is, if you are going to try to exploit newer technologies like USB and FireWire, you will probably be setting yourself up for an easier path by using OS9.04 or 9.1. Just my opinion.

Deckard
05-15-2001, 02:06 PM
Actually, Apple's FireWire 2.4 extensions do work with OS 8.6, you just have to manually install them. I think version 2.5 strictly requires 9.x, but haven't tried them. I'm glad 2.4 can be found if you look, like from kind people who have a cool FTP site with about everything you could ask for on it. Thanks Gurus!

After some research, it looks like the ADS case uses the older Oxford IDE/FireWire bridge, with the 911 available as an upgrade later this summer.

According to the HDST docs, the only extension I should need for this drive/case combo is the "HDST FireWire Support" extension. The other HDST extensions are for SCSI drives only (FireSCSI Expert, FireSCSI RAID Support, FireSCSI Support) or removable drives (HDST Cartridge Mounter).

It's really not a big deal since Heat Utilities 1.2 works, it's just weird that I can't get HDST 3.2 to work with this setup.

Deckard
05-15-2001, 02:13 PM
You're absolutely right about that magician, 9.1 is the way to go. I'd been holding off and simply upgrading my 7600, but stopped at 8.6 for reasons mentioned previously. I thought, why keep upgrading my old 7600 instead of buying a new (or even used) G4 tower, so I'm saving to do so.

Of course, that is always a moving target. I can always justify waiting for the "next cool thing" from Apple. Currently, that would be true UMA-2, DDR-RAM, 800Mbps FireWire, etc, etc. Right now the main hold-up is knowing what I need to run OS X well. Consensus seems to be a minimum of a 400Mhz G4 and 256MB RAM. RAM is so cheap now that's not an issue, but I'd really like at least a dual 500Mhz before leaving my trusty old 7600 horse behind. Since Apple hasn't officially announced higher speed duals or quads yet (I was hoping for that at the WWDC), the current ones are still too pricey.

I'm afraid a single 466Mhz or so just isn't going to play into my bad boy tendencies well enough.

Deckard
05-28-2001, 09:36 PM
Just thought I'd give an update on the ADS FireWire drive and Heat Utilities as the driver. The drivers bundled with the ADS case are from El Gato. Using them rendered the drive I'd installed inside the case unreadable twice after reboots, so I went looking for a better solution. So far Heat Utilities 1.2 seems to do the job, no problems mounting or making the drive unreadable after many cold and warm starts.

I look forward to whenever I can get HDST to work with my setup so I can try it. I'd love to know if HDST's FW drivers improve the speed. Looks like it'll have to wait until the Oxford 911 is fully tested and made available by ADS as an upgrade for the case. The speed is nice, but at 15 MB/sec or so, I want to go faster.

Don't we all. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

indigo
05-29-2001, 10:44 AM
I've got a similar set up. I was able to get Hard Disk speed tools to work with my drive, however I would get frequent error messages stating that a firewire disk had stopped responding. At that point I'd be frozen, requiring a hard reset. I've switched to the heat utilities and have only encountered this problem once. I'm running 9.1 on my Pismo and a BW G3. The aforementioned freezes happened MUCH more frequently on the BW than the pismo. Go figure.