PDA

View Full Version : Need some first time IDE advice

chrismenke
04-29-2001, 12:45 AM
So I've finally decided add IDE drives to the 9600, no that all SCSI drives are living in an external rack, but I'm not sure if I can!

My questions are as follows:
Do I need a free bus master slot for an IDE card? I currently have JackHammers in A1 & D2, and had a nightmare trying to integrate on Adaptec U2B, but might swap 2 U2Bs in for the JackHammers (RAID rack is dual channel).
What is 'the' IDE card? I have room for 4 internal IDE devices, so I would prefer a dual channel card.
Can you stripe across IDE busses?
Will IDE psuedo RAID be suitable for:
Gaming
MP3 Playback
What are some drive recommendatons? I hear about IBM GXPs all the time...

All feedback appreciated!

Cheers,
Chris

Mactacular
04-29-2001, 01:03 PM
You can really use any PCI slot for an IDE card, I prefer the VST UltraTek/66 ATA RAID card, it is inexpensive, and comes with a copy of SoftRAID as you can indeed create ATA RAIDs. A single ATA card can only use a maximum of 4 drives (two channels- 1 master and slave per channel). An ATA drive and card are superb for holding games, especially those with very large installations, and you can also make disk images on the drive if you have a slow CD-ROM. On MP3 playback, some Pre-G3 PowerMacs experience audio stutter with MP3s playing off ATA drives, but the 8600 and 9600 machines generally are not affected by this problem. For drives, I reccomend the IBM Deskstar 75GXPs, they are the fastest ATA drives available, and known as the most reliable.Good Luck.