PDA

View Full Version : fluish drive in G3 B/W

tdoody
02-23-2001, 08:05 PM
Without warning, my internal HD suddenly started to take 5 times te normal duration to boot--with lots of chatter and almost a rythmic panting sound as it struggles. It is finally booting--after about 4-5 minutes and seems to functioning OK. I tried to turn on an external Firewire drive just before this began. Could that have affected it? My external Zip 250 also sems unusually active (with accessing it) Could this indicate anything related?

I ran Norton Disk Doc with no serious problems noted.

What gives?

Any help is very appreciated!

Tom

Louie
02-23-2001, 10:13 PM
It could be failing. Do you have backup? ATA drives are only warranted for two years.

Really bad fragmentation could also cause the chatter. Did you also run Speed Disk?

tdoody
02-23-2001, 11:55 PM
I have a separate external Firewire drive--what do I need to do to back up to that and make it a boot drive?

Thanks so much!

Louie
02-24-2001, 12:06 AM
Well, backup to anything you have that has the space. Once you are backed up, run NUM again including Speed Disk. If it stills acts funny, you might reinitialize the drive. If it makes it thru that(it's stressful for a sick drive), reinstall a system and see how it does. Use the latest Apple Drive Setup for initializing. We have v 2.0.3 on our FTP site. If you don't have NUM 6, run Disk First Aid 8.6 first. It checks for OS 9.x wrapper problems. It's on our site also.

magician
02-24-2001, 09:59 PM
unless you have a very new machine, you will not be able to boot from a FireWire drive. Only New World machines with updated ROMs support FireWire booting. If I'm not mistaken, you actually hold down command-F or something like that to force a boot off an attached FireWire device with a valid system folder.

[This message has been edited by magician (edited 24 February 2001).]