PDA

View Full Version : Inaugural test...

ChrisYip
02-08-2001, 01:53 PM
(sigh)...my luck with hard drives is bad...

Scenario although I'm sure I know the answer

(1) MacAlly Firewire enclosure
(2) Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA 30 GB drive
(3) Intech drivers
...drive was working fine. I shut down the computer to do some RAM upgrades and then heard this rather odd sound from the external drive (screeching noises). Note that in the past, we've always had the enclosure powered even with the computer off (not bus powered - AC power)

Reboot the computer and .. it stalls apparently trying to talk to the Firewire drive.. remove the drive (or unplug the cable) and it boots up fine.. Hot swap - nothing..

Open up the case, unplug the fan, undo the Firewire cable, power up the enclosure - dead silence... - the drive should spin up, n'est-ce pas?.. nope - no noise...

I think the drive is dead....

Chris.

jorge
02-08-2001, 05:14 PM
Plug the drive in using an internal (just the power)power plug in your computer. If it doesn't spin up, the drive is bad, if it does, the external enclosure is dead.

j

ChrisYip
02-08-2001, 05:26 PM
Hi...

Louie - good catch - you were right - I looked at the drive controller board a bit closer and well if there isn't molten looking stuff on the capacitors...

I popped the drive into anothe machine and booted it up - it spun up...

Thanks... now - to bolt this internally into the G4...

Chris.

magician
02-08-2001, 06:01 PM
chris, if you have melted components on a drive controller, get your data off and then send it back to Seagate! Don't trust it, and don't run it more than one time to get your data!

ChrisYip
02-08-2001, 06:39 PM
Yeah - I had already restored from our Ecrix drive to another machine... and check it out.. our HUB just got toasted too.. Geez - must have been one heck of a pulse that ran through...

I used Seagate's RMA request page but it was down so I'm waiting for someone to e-mail me an RMA number and I'll fire it out...

(gad - must have something to do with this weird weather we're having)...

Thanks guys

Chris

Louie
02-08-2001, 07:46 PM
Weird weather. Is it unusually warm up there? weather.com shows the temp just above freezing, windy as hell, raining and the presure dropping.

I've been hot in Memphis all week. It's 74 right now. Weird. In Jan it stayed in the teens and dry; great for static charges.

I had five Mac's on a LAN and noticed that someone had bumped the hub. I walked over to straighten it up and shot a bolt of lightning from my fingers into the hub. Everything went bonkers and I thought it all was fried. Hours later, I had everything running again except one. A PowerCurve mobo ethernet took permanent gas. The hub was OK.

professor
02-08-2001, 09:50 PM
it's was in the 70's here in birmingham today. rain is coming for the weekend though. the only thing i've noticed is that people are acting weird. like they're all p.o.'ed or somthing.

crazyeights
02-08-2001, 10:02 PM
KC, MO....60 degrees this time last night, 38 now, 5 this time tomorrow. Ice storm tonight, followed by 2-4 inches of snow. Teflon = ice on ice....................whoo hoo!!!

Should be fun.

Yeah Prof, I think it's just the sign of the times. 10 years ago if you wanted to take business somewhere, you could walk into a place and find someone who really wanted to help. Nowadays, go into a restaurant or business and it's like "Hey bud, we let you come here and spend your money....what's your f****n problem"? Many, many people don't give a rats ass. Part of my daily mission, try to be genuinely kind to the real assholes, they obviously need it, and......well....so do I. If I'm fortunate, I'll live another 40-50 years, and by then maybe I'll get good at being kind. But man, when I'm hungry.....it's a case of "do NOT mess with me"!

What the hell am I taking about? Who knows........if you can't tell, I've shifted into the "in the bullseye of a winter storm, so time to relax and cut loose". http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

But really, people are way more stressed and on edge than they were even 10 years ago. That's one of the reasons doing business with the Gurus is such a pleasure. They REALLY give a shit!!!! What an anomaly. No wonder Europeans think we're such butheads.

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 08 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 08 February 2001).]

ChrisYip
02-09-2001, 01:29 AM
Hi all

Yup - weird weather indeed - we got 25 cm of very wet snow this morning.. and now.. it's RAINING and supposed to be 9 C tomorrow.. then it drops like a rock, freezing everyone's cars into a sheet of ice...

Thunderstorms in Feb - go figure...

(Check this out - I have a student complaining that coding in Visual Basic on Virtual PC is almost impossible to run - it's so slow - yeah - G4/350 w/512 MB of RAM and Virtual PC 4.0 has been given 128 MB to play with).. the same person complains that Visual Basic is so slow that it's impossible to run on a PII 233 w/ 224 MB of RAM ... the same person who is apparently has his bachelor's of engineering who doesn't know how to write a simple loop - i.e. for i = 1 to 10 ... next i... who is the same "brilliant, I know computers" person who can't figure out how to print on the network but he can find those WWW sites which show the position on the sun on the earth's surface on any day - brilliant indeed.... arghhhhh)

Sorry - had to vent...

Chris

02-09-2001, 03:01 AM
As part of my other life... the showbiz Darin is well underway in the big teeth capping dealie.

Why, you ask? Look at any star and notice the teeth. Perfect. This is a showbiz rule. You must have perfect white teeth. While not that bad, my teeth were far from perfect and white. Today was very weird. I had all four front teeth ground down to little points and then had posts implanted into them to hold the stage one temps. Tonging the spot where I only moments before had my teeth was enough to make me want to puke. However, Tuesday I'll be in the chair all day. When I walk out I'll have the full set of stage two temps. These look like finals, but are actually temps to fine tune so the finals will be perfect. I've seen them and they look so friggin great... I plan on flashing the whites to everyone I cross paths with. (No, not Mag's gay boy friends)

If I cannot score some trim with the new teeth and gigs I'll shoot myself.

Me with new smile... http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

magician
02-10-2001, 12:28 AM
darin, hate to deflate your balloon, but fixing your face isn't going to help your love life, especially when you're still denying your basic sexual orientation.

and what's wrong with my gay friends? Are you feigning homophobia as part of your more fundamental denial of your own ambiguous sexuality? Don't worry, pal. Even when you finally come out of the closet and embrace your own orientation, I will still be your friend. I have lots of gay friends.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

unseasonably warm here in DE, today. We did have snow last weekend, though. It's almost as if mother nature can't decide what the hell to do lately.

Today marks Day 2 of the nicotine withdrawal project. On the patch again.

grrrr.

professor
02-10-2001, 02:23 AM
good luck with the patch. i quit cold turkey a couple of years ago. had some heavy storms tonight and running to the car in pouring down rain just isn't the way to get over being sick.

batmantis00
02-10-2001, 03:03 PM
if you really want to impress people, flash em a smile with just the posts. Put up some pics too, while yer at it.

Michael
02-10-2001, 05:10 PM
ummmm....just how many gay friends do you have mag?

darin
it distresses me that you feel you have to mutilate your body to achieve acceptance by others. celebrities generally are vain, pitiful creatures who measure their self-worth by how many sycophants they have in their entourage. frankly, america's obsession with youth and appearance are syptomatic of a far deeper sickness.

M

mactheripper
02-10-2001, 07:06 PM
Did you see his teeth before?! Frankly, I think it's a great idea, and anything he wants to do to enhance his career and enjoyment of it is http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/kickass.gif

02-10-2001, 10:07 PM
Mag.
It's time for you to come clean. You're not on the patch for cigarette smoking. You are a pole smoker. A tube steak tonsiler. This wouldn't bother me if you would just stop trying to convince me that I'm a flaming rump ranger like you. If you're so accepting, can't you just realize that I like girls and can also like you as a friend without having to get naked with you? We'll all still be your customers... we'll all still post on the forum... I'll even still call you whenever I want to on your home line. But please, for the love of all things holy, admit not just to us, but most importantly to yourself, that you are as gay as the day is long and gay... and gay. GAY.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Michael,
WTF? Sure, show folk are self centered and concerned with appearance and volley back and forth between self adoring and self loathing. But, that doesn't change, for a second, the fact that one must equip themselves with the tools of the trade. Granted, I needed a great deal of caps because of serious tooth decay, but I figured that while I was at it, I might as well get them all done, as I'd have to sooner or later. It's a given. I know what I want and fame is a big part of it. I'm made for it. I'll wear it like a custom tailored suit. And I realize that one of the dues, if you will, someone in my position must pay is the cosmetic one. Luckily I'm blessed with shockingly good looks and GREAT hair. I wasn't as lucky in the tooth department, so I'm fixing that. It's just the way it is. I *will* try to get a pic taken with just the posts, though. That is a great idea. Maybe XLR8 will post that on the web with a caption like "Our knowledgeable and personable Techs are waiting to take your call... just don't be using any of that slick city talk." Oh, yeah. I'm sure they'll go for that.

In other news...

One of me best friends broke up with his girlfriend this past week. He's my Bro, so I have to support him, but man, she is just the greatest. How I wish the code among men allowed room for me to ask her out. Frankly, I think he's a bit crazy for doing it, and I told him so, but in the end it was a decision only he could make. However, she is sexy, built like a brick shithouse, has a sense of humor like a guy, has her own well defined personality, yet is an utterly devoted girlfriend. In other words, the kind of chick any normal guy (not Mag) would want.

Question... if he should ever tell me I should go ahead and give her a call (he knows that I'm her biggest fan), is it okay for me to do, or do I need to stick to the code and turn down the offer? The thing is, while I'd love for him to offer, I know that I would NEVER want my friends boinking my ex girlfriends. In fact, I'd kinda like to have a prison-island where all my ex girlfriends go after we break up. That way I'll know they're out of circulation, unable to cleanse themselves of my musk.

Okay, so I have some issues to work out here... big deal. I'll have great teeth to make up for it. Does my hair look okay?

the_anarch
02-11-2001, 01:27 AM
'sup yall. Long time no me, huh.

Darin: one word: issues.

Briefly though, it depends on how the scenario comes up. If he says its OK for you to ask her out without you bringing it up, then I'd guess it really is OK. But if you have to bring it up, then it doesn't matter what his answer is, you probably shouldn't do it.

One other thing: ifhe says it's OK for you to go out with her, make sure to ask him if he's aware you aren't gay. Oh wait I forgot, never mind...

02-11-2001, 02:17 AM
I'm just as God made me.

Funny how everyone calls you "a gay" until they need an RMA for their upgrade. Then I'm a fuckin superhero. I can't even remember how I got picked as the guy to be falsely gay-bashed... Oh yeah... I remember. I'm friends with Mag.

[This message has been edited by darin (edited 11 February 2001).]

magician
02-11-2001, 02:26 PM
damn.

well, if I WERE gay, I would certainly be more out about it than you, D. I mean, be proud of who and what you are! If you're a great crooner, that's fine. At least you got that going for you, which is nice. Fixing your face is definitely a good move. It can use all the fixing you can afford. As for your hair....well, I got more news for you. Tony Orlando called, and he wants his hair-style back.

lessee...how many gay friends? Well, here in DE, none. My wife has a cousin who is a lesbian, and a great athelete, not that there is any coincidence about that or anything. (No sexual profiling here). She's actually pretty cool. She could easily kick any one's ass here. She's grown up among east coast Italians all her life, and doesn't take any shit. I like her quite a bit.

in Seattle....I had a couple gay friends. Long story. I haven't been to Seattle since '85 or so. No idea if they are even still alive. AIDs was just beginning to tear through the Seattle gay community at that time.

Oh, yeah. My wife works with a lesbian whose last name, no kidding, is Butt. She's an elementary school teacher. The kids call her Miss Butt. I'm not kidding. (I still can't handle it).

that's about it, I guess. And Darin. Don't really know any other gay people right now. But I don't get out much.

as for the chick....no way you want to ask her out now. She's going to be "in transition" for awhile. Now is the time to be her FRIEND. Seriously. Be her friend. If she's got any feelings for you that are not platonic, then act on them. I mean, look: if you just want to nail the chick, then you're a dick for even considering it. If you really think you and this girl could have a serious relationship, then go for it. You got to find love where ever it presents itself, and your bro will understand. He has to. If you just want to do her, then by no means should you even entertain the thought. In fact, I'll assume that's the case, and just send you this SMACK upside the head thru the forums. Just go face the mirror and whap yourself a good one.

there.

but seriously. If this girl is really that hot, and if she's down, go to her and tell her that this is not the time to feel bad about herself. She has to get over this guy, and realize that he made a mistake, but it's his loss, and he actually did her a favor because now she can focus on a meaningful relationship with a more mature guy who is actually ready to accept responsibility for his own role in a relationship and keep up his side of one.

and then, you don't sleep with her. You keep her busy. You take her to the movies, to coffee houses. You play, "let's pretend we're both lesbians" with her, and you check out chicks together. But you say stuff like, "that chick would be hot if she learned how to dress from you," or, "that chick reminds me of you, because she's confident and really competent." You don't say, "what a pair of cans on that one." You say, "she has a nice figure, but she doesn't need to be so insecure about it." The implication is that SHE is the shit, and you use her as the yardstick for all other women, and all other women come up short. The thing is, you have to mean it, and it has to be real, otherwise she'll see right through you.

you can even play the "pretend we're both gay males" game (this will come naturally for you, Darin). You don't check out any dudes, though. You let her do it, and then you make comments not about the appearance of anyone, so much, but more about their unreadiness to commit to a real relationship, or about how they're probably mean to their mother or the mother of their girlfriends, stuff like that. You always target their emotional vulnerabilities, the fact that they'd rather watch hockey than watch Friends with a real woman like her.

that's what you have to do to get a really hot babe. And if she's totally the shit, then she'll say, "this is boring. Let's go watch the Flyers." And she'll put on a negligee and curl up with a blanket during the game, but won't let you touch. That's for later.

and if this chick is like that, I will be on the next flight up.

batmantis00
02-11-2001, 06:07 PM
i know ive always wanted to date a walking brick shit house.

magician
02-12-2001, 05:57 PM
I think we need a picture.

of the brick shit-house. Not of Darin.

02-12-2001, 06:03 PM
I got no pix, but picture Ellen Barkin's prettier sister.

She won sexiest Bartender in Boston.

Louie
02-12-2001, 08:19 PM
Now, Ellen Barkin was built like a Chinese Chicken House! The face took some getting used to.

magician
02-12-2001, 10:22 PM
Ellen Barkin is really a dude.

This is all suddenly starting to make sick sense.

Louie
02-12-2001, 11:35 PM
Impossible! Ellen Barkin could not possibly be a dude! My hopes are dashed. Wasn't she the one that gave head to Clint Eastwood in that movie about a New Orleans Detective?

MacMikester
02-13-2001, 12:06 AM
Who was the babe with Clint in "the Guantlet"? Cool movie.

ChrisYip
02-13-2001, 12:23 AM
wasn't it Sondra Lockhart?.. didn't she become his wife? or something like that?

magician
02-13-2001, 01:16 PM
I think so....I don't think that Ellen Barkin was in any Clint flicks. Sondra Locke was, and he did marry her (WHAT was he thinking?)

Ellen Barkin is a dude. A dude that looks a lot like a hot blonde, with an interesting busted nose and a sarcastic curl to her lip, but still a dude.

mactheripper
02-13-2001, 01:47 PM
I think we need a special archive for Threads That Once Had Meaning But Have Since Degenerated Into Gurus-Style Smack-Talking and Assorted Darin-Bashing. One day until graduation...

This afternoon we perform a sortie generation exercise. http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/phat.gif ness

Louie
02-13-2001, 02:06 PM
Dookie:

It's about time for an ice storm in WF isn't?

magician
02-13-2001, 08:49 PM
maybe we should just make a separate forum for bashing Darin. I mean, it's really fun. I would rather do that all day than just about anything else.

ChrisYip
02-13-2001, 09:45 PM
It's always interesting to see how these threads slowly gather speed and a life of their own

JayPee
02-14-2001, 01:24 PM
Darin,

Happy Valentines day, sweetie! Didja get the "special" gift I sent you? You're just gonna love it girlfriend!!!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

( and no, I don't need an RMA ) *giggle*

[This message has been edited by JayPee (edited 14 February 2001).]

mactheripper
02-15-2001, 12:37 AM
Shut the hell up, Louie. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Ice, here? I don't know what you're talking about... The friggin' birds are keeping me awake. There are about 2000 roosting outside my building. No joke. It's like Hitchcock's movie.

Louie
02-15-2001, 02:08 AM
Dookie: GET OUT OF THERE!

02-15-2001, 02:51 AM
Keep it up. You guys are just too much.

Can't wait for your RMAs to start piling up.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It would be a shame if they weren't taken care of...

magician
02-15-2001, 06:12 AM
oh, hush.

you know we do it because we like you, we really, really do like you.

not to mention the fact that your weaknesses and flaws are just so vulnerable to exploitation. I hardly have to even think to come up with fifty ways to bust on you.

Marsden will be here later tomorrow....er, today. We'll pour you a beer at an empty seat at the table at Robinos.

and then we'll bust on you.

02-15-2001, 06:42 PM
I know you all love me. You also hate me because I am so freakin handsome.

I understand. *I* hate me because I'm so handsome.

Say "hey" to Dave for me. Order me the cacciatore.

[This message has been edited by darin (edited 15 February 2001).]

magician
02-18-2001, 05:54 PM
Dave ate your chicken c. He ate everything else, too. That guy can put it away! Thank God Jack was on the hook for it all. Even at Robinos prices, it was a massive amount of chow. My wife was speechless.