View Full Version : G3/233 Upgrade

02-14-2001, 06:53 AM
Hi guys, having wandered through your site for a while, it 's obvious that you know what you're talking about. Therefore, some advice please. I have a G3/233 desktop with 224mb RAM, a ProFormance III+ video card (with 16MB RAM), and a ViewSonic PT775 monitor. It all works very well, but lack of HD capacity and processor power is becoming an issue, especially with OSX imminent. Therefore I am looking to install, probably, a 40GB Barracuda ATA III as a second drive, and am considering an XLR8 G4 450 (single or dual) ZIF upgrade. Do you have any advice and, more importantly, any installation guidance (diagrams, walk-throughs, etc) that you can offer? Grateful for anything you can offer. The alternative would be a new machine, but thats likely to prove too costly.

02-14-2001, 08:19 AM
why get a G4 450 when a 500Mhz is available? Just my feeling.

the bG3 233 is a rev A, which means it does not support IDE masters and slaves. You need to look hard at your internal buses and make sure you can actually install a second IDE drive.

you can learn more about this on the logic board diagram page for the bG3 on the main site.

02-14-2001, 09:58 AM
Hmmm... Since he looks to have 2 PCI slots left, wouldn't an IDE controller card solve his master/slave problem if arises?

It'd also allow him to make full use of an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive, wouldn't it?

02-14-2001, 11:59 AM
Yes, appreciate your comments ref the 450 vs 500/G4. I thought that I could support master/slave - my mistake. I also didn't mention that I also have a USB card and that I want to keep the remaining PCI slot free. I guess that means that I have to swap HDs? I don't really mind - its just the thought of restoring all the software.....

Many thanks for the help so far.

By the way, can you give me a link to follow so that I can establish the available slots in my machine (I know there's a IDE or SCSI cable floating free in there).

02-14-2001, 01:59 PM
as I mentioned in my last reply, this logic board diagram page (http://www.macgurus.com/beta/mbppcg3desk.html) on the main site will help.

you can indeed use a PCI IDE card to wring more performance out of UltraAT/66 drives in a beige G3, and support dual IDE drives per channel. While there are ATA/100 drives shipping now, there are not any ATA/100 hosts available for the Mac, whether in PCI form or on logic boards.

02-14-2001, 04:30 PM
Magician is assuming, I think, that all 233's were Rev A and thus, cannot support slaves. He may very well be right, but to be sure, look in your Apple System Profiler on the first page. Look for the ROM subversion. If it's v4.0F2, you have a Rev A. If it's V 4.5F1/F2 it's a Rev B.

As far as extra cables floating around, Apple didn't furnish an internal SCSI cable in the DT, only in the MT. There may be an extra connector on the 40-pin ATA cables, but they can't be used unless you have a Rev B.

02-15-2001, 06:14 AM
you are absolutely correct, Louie. I was indeed assuming that all 233's were rev A's. It certainly should be confirmed.

02-17-2001, 08:32 AM
Sorry for the delay guys, I've been away. Thanks for the link - I need to explore the depths of the site some more I see. You are right, Magician, it is Rev A, so I guess that I will have to replace the existing HD. The reason I wanted to go for an ATA100 drive was so that, when I eventually replace my G3, it will be more future compatible. Surely the only problem will be the bottleneck that my 66Mbs system will impose?

Once again, many thanks for the advice.

02-18-2001, 04:50 PM
Hi, me again. I've been thinking and it seems that I might have been approaching this from the wrong angle. Maybe what I should be asking is, given my stated configuration (and including the possible use of my spare PCI slot), what would you guys recommend for increasing my HD space without compromising speed - and I'm mean which type/make of HD (20-40GB) with which connection (and card if necessary) and what cables/brackets would be required. It seems that processor upgrades are relatively straightforward and it merely needs me to decide which I want and to get the cash. However, I don't want to cloud my HD decision with poorly considered pre-conceptions. I am away until Thursday, so no rush and I look forward to your reply. I hope that I'm not being too much of a pain.

Thanks again,


02-18-2001, 05:17 PM
if you get a replacement IDE drive, whether ATA/66 or ATA/100, it will be impaired somewhat by your internal circuitry. Yes, an ATA/100 will probably be a better investment for future longevity, though I wouldn't worry about this that much.

in an ideal world, and if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking at a Cheetah, either an 18GB X15 (or two striped), or a 36GB, or a 72GB, with a Miles2. You can read about them on the main site.