PDA

View Full Version : 2 removable drives in G4

Tim_PhB
02-12-2001, 03:27 PM
I have a G4\400 with a DVD-ROM drive and no Zip. I would like to install a CD-RW drive where the Zip would go, but the case has immovable metal tabs that seem to be part of the case structure. Is there any way to get both drives in there without being a welder? I can live without the sled or faceplates. Function is more important than form at this point. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

magician
02-12-2001, 04:35 PM
hi, tim.

actually, that bay was specifically engineered for 3.5-inch drives like Zip, Jaz, or Orb. I have NO IDEA why Apple didn't just use a standard ATX 5.25-inch form factor, so we all could have the flexibility to use whatever we want in that bay.

anyway.

unless you want to take a pair of tin-snips to your machine, there is no easy, supported, way to install a second 5.25-inch device in the Sawtooth enclosure.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tim_PhB
02-12-2001, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the response!

The snips were my first instinct, but I was hoping for something more 'elegant.' Do know if anyone has tried to 'alter' the bay by cutting and what their success rate was?

Cheers-

Louie
02-12-2001, 07:22 PM
We have lady member that is using an Erector Set to make things to go in a Power Tower Pro.

magician
02-12-2001, 09:25 PM
I think Bill Monk did it. You should be able to find a post by him by searching for bmonk, then clicking on his profile. If he listed his email, you can try him. Or maybe he'll see this post. Haven't talked go Bill on the forums here for awhile.

Tim_PhB
02-13-2001, 09:03 AM
Thanks all, and cheers from the toboggan hill!

batmantis00
02-13-2001, 04:21 PM
alot of pc users have case envy. sell you enclosure on Ebay and use the money to buy a 9600 or g3 minitower enclosure and stick yer mobo in that. **elegant**

(note...you might have to buy a 9600 or a g3 to get the enclosure, but then you can sell those mobos. or you can put the g3 in the g4 enclosure and sell that. granted, thats alot of buying and selling, but it makes for a hobby.)