PDA

View Full Version : Am I on the right track???

Macaholic
07-21-2001, 09:35 PM
There is not much Mac support in my area so I have had to learn on my own! I am outgrowing my Imac 333.Upgraded with 256MB RAM, and 20 GIG HD. I recently purchased a 9600, a new XLR8 ziff carrier card , and a 400MHz Apple G4 processor. Will this work so far? I also purchased a "Jackhammer PCI card" on Ebay will this be a problem?Any advise as to what cards in what slot?Also have XLR8 USB card, Standard Twin Turbo Card,Asanti T10/100 network card(networked thru hub to Imac)Yamaha 8x8x24 CD /RW...Will this all be OSX compliant?Can I use 256Mb RAM modules?..SORRY for so many questions,Like I said not much GOOD help around here!I

kaye
07-23-2001, 05:34 PM
Mac,

Which 9600, 300 or 350, or earlier? The Carrier and Apple G4 processor I think should work. They go together, then the Carrier goes into your processor slot.

Your JackHammer PCI card I'm guessing is an UltraWide card. We need to know which JackHammer it is. Actually the JackHammer, IME, can go in any slot, but would be best in Slot 1. You already have the other cards working in the slots they are in?

I don't know if you can get them all to work with OSX. Largest ram you can use is 128MB DIMMs. This hsould get you started. Anyone else? k

Macaholic
07-23-2001, 08:04 PM
Thanks so much for yor reply! My 9600 is the 300 Mhz "Kansas" model., and yes the jackhammer is the Ultrawide scsi pci card. All other cards are working fine. My next question of course is going to be about configuring hard drives using the jackhammer. I have the original IBM 4 gig drive that came with this computer,a 4.5 gig Fujitsu drive, and 2/ 9gig IBM LVD drives.(model# DNES-309170). any ideas? Thanks again,

kaye
07-23-2001, 08:33 PM
DNES-309170 came in a variety of models. Go here http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/dnes/dnesjum.htm

It is 68-pin and Ultra2 Wide LVD for sure and not 68-pin UltraWide? The original IBM and Fujitsu drives are on the internal motherboard SCSI?

You want the JackHammer in Slot1 (backup choice slot4). If the drives are U2W LVD, they are going to drop back out of LVD to single-ended UW because of the JackHammer being UW.

The existing L2 Cache in the Kansas is on the existing processor card you will be pulling. So no need to look for L2 Cache to pull from the motherboard. Rest of the info about the 9GB IBMs is here http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/ultra/ul18es.htm . Questions? k

dragon_x
07-23-2001, 08:59 PM
I've heard that those G4 upgrades can cause issues with SCSI cards in the lower slots.

GL

kaye
07-23-2001, 09:18 PM
Very true, d_x. The JackHammer may not work in Slot4. However, though I have not tried my JackHammer (E100) with a G4, it peacefully works in my S900 in any slot. It does not absolutely require a Busmaster slot. It drives one of my boot drives, an IBM 36LZX U2W LVD now operating UW SE and currently resides in Slot5. Breedon called it one of the most compatible cards he had ever worked with. k

Macaholic
07-24-2001, 10:10 AM
No Im not sure, the IBMs may not be LVDs afterall. I hope this is not an issue since I will be using the Jackhammer. Im still waiting on the carrier card, and Jackhammer card. Just trying to learn what to expect when everything arrives! At this point any drive can go anywhere....Looking for best configuration ahead of time! Hopfully get it right the first time.....HAHa! Any Ideas?? Thanks to All

kaye
07-24-2001, 02:54 PM
If they are not LVD, then those IBMs are UltraWide if 68-pin. They are 68-pin drives? If they are 80-pin, we have a problem Houston. k

Macaholic
07-24-2001, 09:18 PM
Yes, Mission Control, they are 68 pin!

kaye
07-26-2001, 03:22 PM
OK, that is good. Either the UW or U2W version will work with the JackHammer. You can tell for sure if you can find TE jumper pins on the drive. That would mean UW. Or something on the drive label should identify which model it is.

If the drive is U2W, you must provide external termination, not to be confused with Termination Power (TP). The way I did it was to use Initio twisted-pair LVD cable and LVD terminator to the U2W drive from the JackHammer. That way you can use the cable later if you upgrade from the JackHammer. k

dragon_x
07-26-2001, 06:01 PM
If the drives are U2W then they usually will have an SE jumper to force SE (UW) mode.

Macaholic
07-28-2001, 12:14 PM
I recieved the Jackhammer card today.I am very confused...Card manufactured by FWB, has external connection which looks like HPDB68M. Two internal connections.one same as latter, one standard IDC50 male. Also recieved cable w/3 HPDB68F internal.... upon further inspection,all my drives are standard 50 pin, any place to find instructions/manuals for the card? What cables/ interfaces for my drives?
What to take for this headache....

kaye
07-28-2001, 01:07 PM
All is not lost. And if you get a headache, just walk away for awhile.

Those drives should just hook up to the JackHammer using a 50-pin cable with enough connectors for the drives and JackHammer. The last drive you want to put a jumper on the Termination Enable (TE) jumper pins and of course use different ID#'s for each drive. Do not put any jumpers on Termination Power (TP), the JackHammer provides that.

MacMikester has one of those JackHammers with both internal 50 & 68-pin connectors. I believe he said the 50-pin is Utra narrow, Fast-20, meaning max theoretical throughput of 20MB/s, more than enough for those drives. At this point, I have no idea where you get docs for the JackHammer.

The Gurus ftp site has the software in the fwb_stuff folder. You want PCI JackHammer? 1.4.5..hqx

More info/FAQ here http://www.rorke.com/hammer/index.html k

Macaholic
07-28-2001, 05:40 PM
Thanks again Kaye...I have the updated software,after card install machine would not boot...zapped pram, all is well again,card will not find the IBM drives, but can find the Fujitsu...looks like jumper settings to me...I will walk away for a while.... Thanks for being there...Dave

Macaholic
07-28-2001, 05:46 PM
By the way ...I recieved the XLR8 carrier for the processor... the dummy I purchased the processor from sent me an AGP G4/400 processor !!I It's been a rough week...

MacMikester
07-28-2001, 07:31 PM
Hey Macaholic,

Well, there was a small owner's manual that came with the JackHammer when it was new, but it isn't very necessary. The control panel software is fairly simple and self-explanatory. Just follow Kaye and hook your 50-pin drives on the same cable to the 50-pin internal connector on the JackHammer. You will notice a difference over the built-in internal SCSI bus. The JackHammer firmware/software is only tested up through OS 9.0.2, so if you are using OS 9.1, there is a potential for problems. Many folks have had no problem at all.

If you really,really want me to, I could photocopy the manual and mail it to you. Email me if you need.

Regards

lasvegas
07-28-2001, 07:44 PM
One thing to note about the JackHammer controller (I don't know if this applies to other UltraSCSI controllers) is that the card will adjust itself to your slowest drive attached to the card. This means that you should leave your slower drives (IE: The CD-ROM drive) attached to your internal bus on a separate cable.

Macaholic
07-29-2001, 07:21 AM
Okay, I ran a cable from the Jackhammer card to the 4 gig IBM drive that came with my 9600. Using FWB's benchmark utility I am not getting much better transfer rates than the internal bus.
Sustained read- internal bus@5374kb/sec
w/ Jackhammer@5555
Sustained write- internal bus@6797
w/Jackhammer@6973
Is this due to the capacity of the drive, or is something still amiss?

MacMikester
07-29-2001, 01:25 PM
Mac,

Your numbers are right in the ballpark and you are seeing the limitation of the drive's transfer rate, not a limitation of the 'Hammer. I have a 9600/350 with IBM DCAS 34330 4GB drive on the stock bus. I use the ATTO ExpressPCI driver on it and it benches at SR 5614 KB/s and SW 7101 KB/s with FWB benchmarks (SR 7.56 MB/s and SW 7.58 MB/s with ATTO ExpressPro Tools benchmarks, just to show how different tools with different test routines show different results). This is just about as fast as you can get with the IBM 4GB drive, which is a SCSI-2 device (10 MB/s max. burst transfer rate).

Most of us on this board use the ATTO benchmarks or the QuickBench benchmarks from Intech's Hard Disk Speed Tools for the sake of comparisons.

If you are correct that your IBM DNES drives are 50-pin, then they are Ultra-Narrow (Fast-20) drives with a max. burst transfer rate of 20 MB/s, which is a good match for the 'Hammer on it's internal 50-pin connector. You should probably bench somewhere around 16-18 MB/s with these drives as singles (not in a RAID stripe). However, unlike modern controllers with the flexibility to set different tranfer rates for different targets, the 'Hammer will slow all transfers to SCSI-2 (max. burst transfer rate of 10 MB/s) if you hang the IBM DCAS 4G drive on the same bus. Your best config is to leave the DCAS on the stock 10 MB/s internal bus and hang only the two IBM DNES devices on the 'Hammer. You can use SoftRAID, FWB RAID, ATTO ExpressRaid, Hard Disk Speed Tools, etc. to stripe the two DNES drives for a little kick in the pants--you might see 24-25 MB/s benchmarks, I'm not really sure).

Regards

Macaholic
07-30-2001, 05:53 PM
Much thanks to all who replied...I have learned a lot ! Recieved the second IBM drive today, It is in fact a 68 pin LVD.I am searching for a twin drive to configure these as a RAID,and attach to the Jackhammer bus. I will use the 50 pin IBM drive on the internal bus. If I understand correctly, in the future I may upgrade the LVD array to take advantage of their potential. Also have a 500 Mhz copper10X on the way for my XLR8 zif carrier! Special Thanks to Kay and MacMikester!!! This is an EXCELLENT forum because of the moderaters!!!!!!