PDA

View Full Version : Helllllllllp!

lcouri
07-17-2001, 09:52 AM
I am at my wits end (why yes, it was a short journey) when it comes to using my MacG4 533 640mbram. I access the internet via PC, get what files I need, transfer onto CD and voila! It's put on my Mac. Here's the catch: I can transfer sit, smi, etc. files but NOT .img files!!!! I have had two different people make a disk image file for me (in addition to what I have downloaded), they tell me to use Shrink wrap (which I have) and I'm off .... but my computer states: something like 'application not found' I'm using the latest version of Shrink. I have the latest Stuffit expander, all on OS 9.1
What's going on? Is my PC corrupting them? Today the Mac stated something about PC exchange blah blah .... is there something I should use on my PC to keep things Mac clean? Other than accessing the internet through a Mac.

Thanks!

ChrisYip
07-17-2001, 11:10 AM
Rather than relying on the automatic association - have you tried to simply open up the file from within StuffIt Expander?. I've had problems where simple double-clicking screws up because of creator code or whatever problems BUT you can work with them from within StuffIt etc...

I think the creator code info or the resource fork of the Mac files is stripped on the PC so that can cause problems when you go from the PC to the Mac IF you downloaded the Mac file onto the PC first..

Chris

marrand
07-17-2001, 10:15 PM
Good idea Chris. I too had similar problems, until I took a simple approach of opening the file from within Stuffit Expander. It works!

It seems similar "voodoo" is happening with PowerPoint. If I download a PC file and click the icon, nothing! i. e. no application found. But if I launch PowerPoint then ask to open the new file, voila - it's there in its full glory!

tm311
07-17-2001, 10:44 PM
open your control panels folder and open the "file exchange" control panel.....scroll down to the .img line and assign the application you want to use to open .img files, be it Stuffit or shrinkwrap.

M.Brane
07-18-2001, 01:02 AM
Gotta love that M$! http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/crossbones.gif

------------------
Safely behind the bleeding edge.

[This message has been edited by M.Brane (edited 18 July 2001).]