PDA

View Full Version : what rev. A or B for Biege G3 desktop

rcherwalk
07-02-2001, 03:53 PM
I have a biege G3 desktop and want to and a second ide drive to a buss
, but I need to know whether I have a rev A or Rev B how do I find out thanks

Dogstarman
07-02-2001, 09:53 PM
Sigh.....Not to be a meanie, but we should all search for our topics before we post a question. I will spare Louie an appearance.

OK. The first release of the Beige G3's contained a ROM revision numbered "V4.0 F2", available in the Apple System Profiler. On the motherboard, the video chip will be marked on the top with white letters stating "ATI 3D RAGE II+". Got it so far?

Now, the second release of the board contained a ROM revision of either "V4.5 F1" or "V4.5 F2", available in the same place, all the way at the bottom of the "System Profile" tab in the Apple System Profiler. The graphics chip is physically marked as "RAGE PRO-PCI".

Another way to get a good idea is that the 233 and 266 Mhz machines are generally the first release. All faster beige G3's should be the later revision.

Glad to help out, but (seriously) I bet the same question has been asked/answered no less than 30 times since I got here in October. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dragon_x
07-03-2001, 10:41 AM
Maybe all the good threads should be consolidated and posted to the MacGurus pages of DOOM in addition to the threads & archives here?

It seems many people read those before jumping into the forums.

Dogstarman
07-03-2001, 02:32 PM
Wondering if a (damn, I hate this term) FAQ page would be appropriate. The Gurus could assemble the most commonly asked question that are answerable in 3 (or so) sentences and throw a page up. Link it to the top of the Forums page. You know...that same old thing we see elsewhere, but with more flare. They are Gurus, after all!!!

"Just to save you a few minutes and a couple dozen keystrokes, click HERE for our FAQ page, loaded up with the most commonly asked questions in the quest for Mac wisdom."

mactheripper
07-03-2001, 10:29 PM
Wouldn't you know it? We are desperately trying to puzzle out a good way to do that and answer some of the best questions with some thoroughness.

What we need is a way to search out good question threads and post links to them. Volunteers?

billbo
07-07-2001, 12:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>mactheripper:
Wouldn't you know it? We are desperately trying to puzzle out a good way to do that and answer some of the best questions with some thoroughness.
What we need is a way to search out good question threads and post links to them. Volunteers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa Mac! Now the idea is great, and the hard part is the "searching out good question threads"-

I will admit, I'm somewhat a new Mac guy (2 years young), but I'd be willing to help out with some "audio" related stuff.

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscience state"

mactheripper
07-08-2001, 03:02 AM
What I mean is, there are existing threads, some in archives, that completely answer many of the questions that we would like to put on a FAQ page or section of the site.

We have not been able to take time away from answering questions to compile these threads and make a decision about how to format them.

We were kicking around the idea of running a separate copy of UBB just as a massive FAQ archive. Another option is cutting and pasting archived threads onto FAQ pages; very labor-intensive. Yet another is simply searching for good threads, then linking to them.

marrand
07-10-2001, 10:58 AM
That's the beauty of the Macs - buy it, connect it, and it is ready to work for you. Many people get spoiled, continue enjoying it, some even fall in love with it, and life is simply great for a few years. Everything seemed to function so smoothly that there was no need to delve into the details of the machine.

Aha. Then comes a time to upgrade. The user wants something extra. No problem. Macs are easy to improve, but many users have no idea where to start. The answers are there, available on internet, but the wealth of information is so rich that digging through the pile for the particular item is a chore. Well, most Mac owners aren't used to chores; they had life simple, and they want to keep it that way. They go to internet, find a Mac discussion forum, look at the simple questions asked by others, and without further ado they post theirs.

The beauty of the Mac community is that there is always someone to answer the simplest question, even if it has been asked a zillion times before. Again, life is simple for the Mac user. And let's face it: it is MUCH easier to post a question and have it answered, than to wade through the FAQ pages.

Ahhhhh....but the macgurus, in their passion to help all Mac users, try to devise simple ways to access a tidbit of information from the huge library of facts. Their quest is noble, but methinks they have a blindspot. It's this. The quantity and complexity of information is SO great that it could form the basis for several graduate courses in computer technology. From their perspective, the knowledge they posses is rather ordinary, a simple consequence of continued keen and active interest in the subject. From the perspective of the novice, their knowledge is awesome and they are overwhelmed by it. After reading a few dissertations (on FAQ type threads), they get intimiated and return to the simple life they are used to: just post a question! They want to USE their Mac - not do research on it.

I understand the simple novice well, since I am one. For 3 years my revision1 G3 266 serviced me well, and the most complex hardware task I was involved in was installing extra RAM. Wow, that was scary at first!! Then I wanted my HD replaced; oh, I did my own research on Hard Drives, bought one, but had my son install it for me. Why? Because I was too intimated by the electronics under the hood.

Then time came to upgrade. I got a scanner, but I can't plug it in. The instruction manual says USB. What is USB? I started doing some research, and thought I was progressing well. But then I found a reference to the term ZIF as applied to new processor, and was stumped. So, like a simpleton, I posted the simple question: what is a ZIF? I received the answer immediately. Not wanting to impose on many people, I started doing deep research on Macs, and soon realized that I am taking a graduate level course. I had to learn the hard way the difference between revision numbers and other simple aspects of the Mac. In my profession I have done a lot of research on various subjects, so this new endeavor wasn't new to me. However, I can visualize many Mac users to whom such research is new, too tedious, and if not experienced, very time consuming.

And thus I stumble on rcherwalk's question - a very simple want one. He wants to know which revision he has (July 2). I KNEW I was in the right forum when I read dogstarman's answer. Patiently he answered the question, but some exasperation was showing: wasn't the same question asked many times before?

Then the goodhearted and devoted macgurus get into high gear: dragon_x, dogstarman, and mactheripper start agonizing over ways to make simple Mac information more accessible to the novice. Frankly, I don't think this will help. No matter how well you organize the FAQ archives, no matter how well to tie up the various threads, there will always be a novice with a simple question. That wouldn't be so difficult, but we all know that one simple question leads to another, and to another, and pretty soon the novice is dragged kicking and screaming into the macgurus kingdom of knowledge. By the time he/she is acclimated, the questions have been answered, the Mac has been upgraded, and the novice returns to the love affair with the Mac.

mactheripper asked for volunteers for searching good questions and posting links. May I humbly suggest that this may be too tedious. Perhaps the old system is better: members peruse the various topics during their leisure time, encounter a simple question, and take their time to answer it. As a new junior member, that's what I intend to do. I don't know much about Macs, but after having finished rather extensive upgrades on my G3, I may encounter a simple question which I understand and will happily type in my answer. Many people have helped me in this upgrading task; the least I can do is help others who are starting this adventure from ground zero.

MacMikester
07-11-2001, 07:26 PM
Hey marrand,

Your eloquence is appreciated. You willingness to help is also welcomed.

Regards