PDA

View Full Version : Best I/O for a Powerbook ???

wbeecham
07-08-2001, 09:03 PM
I got a question.

What is the best strategy for a hard drive set up for use on a powerbook?

I have a Firewire PB and I am trying to use Final Cut Pro to do video work.

Shouild I go to a PCMCIA/SCSI card?

Or use the built-in Firewire (known to be slow)?

Thanks for the input.

Bill Beecham

billbo
07-10-2001, 08:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Shouild I go to a PCMCIA/SCSI card?
Or use the built-in Firewire (known to be slow)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really depends upon what type of video you're doing (ie-home or pro).

Video definetly likes to gobble up HD space, whether compressed or not.

If you're just shooting the kids b-day parties, choir/talent shows, family reunions and the like and you don't have to be stringet about frame/compression rates, go the F/Wire route, because you can hot swap the drive(s).

I.E.- you could shoot your video with the PB, do some work on it on the way home, then just hookup the drive to your Mac at home (assuming you have one) and finish up.

This company, http://www.glyphtech.com/ does make a Firewire box.

They also make the de-facto standard for industry film(/video), which is Fibre Channel SAN/RAID arrays, which are pretty expensive (which Glyph does make as well).

The only reason to go SCSI, is if you'll be taking your video to any sort of post-production house, because most of 'em use the "hot-swappable" SCSI removable's (which aren't "as" expensive as F.Channel, but still a pretty hefty amount of dough to get into).

I don't "capture" video, but I do get discs with compressed QT movies (TV jingles and such), which I have to do some audio work on. For me, I have a 9500, and thus all my drives are SCSI (since that's what it came with). Not that I do "a lot" of video work, but I do very intensive audio work, and I have never had any problems with the SCSI drives that I pound on day in and day out (knock on wood).

I prefer SCSI over any sort of IDE/ATA drives (I have worked on PC's with those drives installed), but I know that in the future that when I have a F/Wire/USB card, I will use those for massive backups, because you can pick 'em up for dirt cheap.

Well, I know I didn't do very good at swaying you one way or another, but I hope that helped out at least a little.

Good Luck

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscience state"

[This message has been edited by billbo (edited 10 July 2001).]