PDA

View Full Version : upgrade hard disk for 233 iMac

philipsmith
07-04-2001, 10:40 AM
Hi:

I want to upgrade my tiny hard disk (HD) and have found directions for installing a new one. Is there a way to remove the old HD, attach it as an external USB HD, format the new HD, transfer everything from the USB HD to the new internal HD, and then remove the USB HD and make my iMac think the new internal HD is the disk from which to boot?

Please give specific step-by-step instructions, please!

Thanks!
PHIL

ChrisYip
07-04-2001, 04:30 PM
Hmmm = I thought that there really wasn't a way of doing this _ at least easily.. Not sure if there are in fact USB external cases that you can put a drive into (as there are for the Firewire cases)...

Anyways - one idea - unplug your CD-ROM, make your new IDE drive a slave and have it replace your CD-ROM (i.e. just swap the cables). Reboot off your original drive and then transfer everything. Reconnect it all now with the new drive as the master, put your CD-ROM back in and then reboot..

Chris

marrand
07-10-2001, 11:30 AM
Interesting problem. But I wonder if "transferring" is the same making disk image? Will mere transfer work?
I wonder if it's better to copy the documents only onto an external ZIP (using several cartridges) or external SCSI, and then reinstalling all the software from scratch. The problem will be : where do I get this external storage device? Well, I am wondering again. If you have your stuff only on one HD, where is your backup? Shouldn't you have one anyway? I was told that backups are crucial for any computer. Wouldn't this be a good time to invest in an external backup of your newer HD?

chatwood2
07-10-2001, 12:14 PM
I don't think you can put a second hard drive in place of the CD-ROM in a 233 iMac, the IDE connector is non-standard. I would suggest doing the file transfer over a network( if you have one), or in a 2nd machine (one that can have 2+ IDE drives in it). If those are not options for you a USB Zip could transfer some of your files, or buy a USB hard drive, copy files from your current hard drive to it, and the from to the new hard drive once it is installed. I don't think you will be able to buy just a USB hard drive case.

- Chris