PDA

View Full Version : ATA controller card

lcouri
06-27-2001, 08:54 AM
I have two IDE drives set up on my G4 533, here's a question: could I install an ATA controller card (PCI) and hook up another 1 or 2 drives? Would it vastly decrease performance ... if it worked?
Thanks!
Lance

dragon_x
06-27-2001, 12:37 PM
A IDE/ATA 66 PCI card should perform the same or very close to what you rstock ATA/66 controller can do. The case will handle 4 drives on the bottom bays. Since only one drive per channel can do anything at any given time, you may see an increase in performance. I would install both as master drives on their own channel.

The fastest IDE/ATA drives (ATA/100, 7200RPM) will only push about 30~35MB/s max sustained. So the full potential of the ATA/66 bus is not used.

Also remember that when you install drives on the ATA PCI card, they are acting as a SCSI drive. You can not swap drives around from the stock bus to the PCI card without reformatting.

The ULTIMATE drive setup would be to get 4 x15 Cheetahs (I hear they are coming out with a 36GB model) and a dual channel ATTO U160 card, cables, SoftRAID, terminators, etc.. This can run $2600 and up, but ya gotta pay to play http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You should only spend that kind of money if
A) It can enable you to make more money - its your work system
B) You dont know what to do with your money.

------------------
Life in the fast lane leads to:
The Resteraunt At The End Of The Universe.

Will S
07-02-2001, 02:31 AM
Oh but you can swap drives around without reformating and
with no loss of data if you use Intech's Hard disk speedtools!
I used it works great! The lastest version even works with OSX! later

dragon_x
07-02-2001, 10:25 PM
Interesting.

So maybe it adjust the 'drivers' based on where the drive is plugged into? Or maybe there is much in common between SCSI & IDE/ATA?