PDA

View Full Version : CD ROM won't access photo files

bfeely
06-29-2001, 08:36 AM
Hi

I am having problems accessing photo files on my CD ROM. Sotware and audio CDs are fine. I reformatted my hard disks about 2 months ago using Softraid 2.2.2, and this is the first time since reformatting that I have used the CD ROM which is when I discovered the problem.

I think I am right in thinking that Softraid is not recommended for CD Drives. Is there a connection if so what do you recommed I do to fix the problem?

Regards

Bernadette Feely

My setup is:
9600/350 with 400/200 G4 card upgrade card from Newer Technology.

I have two internal hard disks and one external scsi device: -
Internal:
1. Apple Hard Disk ID : 0
Partition = 1
Driver Version : 2.2.2 Softraid
Size : 4GB
Mac OS Extended

2. Segate Hard Disk ID : 1
Partition = 1
Driver version 2.2.2. Softraid
Model No : ST39173N
Size : 9GB
Mac OS Extended

External:
Panasonic DVD RAM 5.6GB with ID : 1
I use the DVD RAM as a way of backing up my data, which I do at HFS Extended using Retrospect Express 4.3.

[This message has been edited by bfeely (edited 29 June 2001).]

ChrisYip
06-29-2001, 11:46 AM
Hmmm

I doubt that SoftRAID would be used to format your CD...

What exactly is the problem?. Perhaps you are missing an extension for that specific type of CD - Is it a PhotoCD?

Chris

kaye
06-29-2001, 11:51 AM
Is Apple Photo Access in your Extensions folder? k

bfeely
06-29-2001, 05:48 PM
Yes to both.

Apparently I need a Foreign File Access, Apple CD/DVD Driver and Apple Photo Access - I have all three.

When I try to open Kodak Photo CDs my computer comes up with a message saying my CD 'name' cannot be found so it can not be used. My computer dosen't crash it just won't open up the CDs.

However, when I tried to access some images on a CD that was burned and sent to me today by a friend - well, when I click on the CD icon it opens up to reveal the tiff files as Quicktime icons, and when I try to open up any of them my computer freezes.

Someone else has just emailed me a Joliet extension so I am going to have a play with that. Apparently this CD was formatted using Joliet.

Regards

Bernadette

------------------
Bernadette Feely
Graphic Artist

tm311
06-30-2001, 06:31 AM
Joliet is a PC thing that merely gives you som more iso960 capabilities, stuff that was missing from the original windows95 level1 iso960. It should have nothing do do with image files and especially if you are
tryingto open them on a mac. If the cd mounts to the desktop and you can see the tif icons you are not missing any extensions...i would try two things.
1. drag the tif file from the cd to the HD(copy it to the HD) then open PS and use PS to open the file thru the file/open menu.
2. Go to your "file exchange" control panel and set those preferences to the correct application.

bfeely
07-02-2001, 03:16 PM
Actually, the Joliet extension let me get access to the images burned on to a CD by a friend. However, I am still unable to access my images on the Kodak PhotoCD. When I say I cannot get access my computer refuses to recognise the CD. Maybe there is something wrong with my ISO9660 extension?

tm311 wrote: 'If the cd mounts to the desktop and you can see the tif icons you are not missing any extensions...'

Regards

Bernadette

PS: Apologies for being slow to respond I was away over the weekend.

------------------
Bernadette Feely
Graphic Artist