PDA

View Full Version : Firewire EXT won't mount

calley
06-23-2001, 11:19 PM
I have a BG3-266MT with Ratoc PCI Firewire/USB combo. Have been using an EZQ CDRW for sometime without any problems. Just added a EZQ Firewire EXT HD but it is not recognized by my computer. Using the HDST 3.2 (updated to 3.21) that came with it. All Apple Firewire extensions are in place and version 2.5. I am using OS 9.04. Have tried multiple extension variations with no luck. HDST does see my CDRW and have changed Firewire ports and the CD works from both. What should I try next. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks, Chris

kaye
06-24-2001, 12:15 AM
Chris,

I don't see a HDST 3.2.1 on their site http://www.IntechUSA.com/HDrev.html just 3.2. Is there a 3.2.1 somewhere else? You don't have anything connected to the internal FireWire port of the RATOC card? I'm wondering if something is connected to the internal port, one of the external FireWire ports should not be used. Does FireWire 2.5 install three items? k

calley
06-24-2001, 08:43 AM
Kaye,
Thanks for writing back. The HDST is version 3.2, but there is an update to 3.2.1 at the EZ Quest web page which I downloaded. http://www.EZQ.com/1-714-694-0031/default.las?Page=07
My Firewire extensions are:
FireWire CardBus Enabler (Version 1.01 but package 2.5)
FireWire Enabler 2.5
FireWire Support 2.5
HDST FireWire Support 3.2.1
HDST Cartridge Mounter 3.2.0
Nothing is plugged into the Ratoc internally. I have tried chaining then together in different order and switching cables but all that is recognized is the CDRW. Anything else I could try?
Thanks,
Chris

kaye
06-24-2001, 10:14 AM
Chris,

I'm just getting my feet wet with FireWire in my PTP and S900, so I am a newbie. You have the correct version of FireWire (2.5) for OS9.0.4 and HDST with the 3.2.1 updater from EZQ (funny it says 3.2 but is 3.2.1).

You say you have tried chaining them in both orders but have you tried using both off of both ports, in other words each off of its own port, not chaining them?

The FireWire device I purchased is an EZQ CDRW. I notice that EZQ makes a big deal out of starting their FireWire HD before starting the computer:

"Due to the increase in speed, FireWire Hard drives need to receive power Before they begin to communicate with your system's FireWire Port. You can avoid any spin-up problems by making sure the drive is on before the computer is turned on or by pulling the FireWire cable and cycling the power on the hard drive before plugging the FireWire cable back in."

So, are you waiting for the drive to fully spin up before starting the computer? Sorry if this seems obvious, just have to ask.

Last, with generic FireWire cables, cable distances up to 4.5-ft are supported, though your mileage may vary. This is total length if you are chaining them. Take a look here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/obj_show_page.cgi?granitefirewirestuff.html and see if it gives you any ideas. Luck. I am watching this thread myself for ideas. k

kaye
06-24-2001, 10:37 AM
Chris,

In surfing around the net, I see that the standard for FireWire length limit is 4.5 meters, but the Gurus page link for FireWire mentions 4.5 feet for generic stuff. Still, perhaps your situation is too long for generic cable. How long is your chained length? k

calley
06-24-2001, 11:25 AM
Kaye,
The cables I used were the ones shipped w/ the respective hardware. The one that came with the HD seems about 5 feet long. The CDRW is more like 2 feet. They are not chained currently, but I will try the shorter cable with the HD and disconnect the CDRW for now and see if that helps. I have had the computer on when starting the HD and had them both on with a re-start. I will try just shutting everything down then start the HD and then the computer to see if that helps. There is a discussion under the "FireWire" forum which talks about Ratoc recommended extensions (dj junky). I have selected those. Interestlngly, when I scan with HDST the CDRW is not seen either but it still works. Must have some extension conflilct with HDST. I have Toast Firewire support on as well as Toast Reader and the REX-PCIFW Driver from Ratoc.
Thanks,
Chris

calley
06-24-2001, 12:22 PM
Now have only the FWHD connected with the 2 foot cable directly to the computer. Still will not recognize the HD. I took it over to a friend who has a PB w/native Firewire. Installed HDST and same problem. Does not seem to recognize that it is there. Could the drive be bad or is it an extension conflict that prevents it from recognizing that its there?
thanks,
Chris

kaye
06-24-2001, 03:26 PM
Chris,

From what you have said, you have tried to format/initialize the drive with HDST and HDST cannot find the drive to initialize and install the driver so that it will mount on the desktop. Is that correct?

If so, I'm out of ideas. There may be something staring me in the face, but I don't see it. Sounds like it is time for an email/call to EZQ or if you purchased it from the Gurus and it is still inside the 30 day limit, call/email MacGurus to setup an exchange for a new one. k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 24 June 2001).]

calley
06-24-2001, 04:36 PM
Yes. I have all the listed extensions but the computer and HDST does not see the drive to select to mount it/initialize it. I have written to EZ Quest to see if they have any additional ideas. If not I will work on the return. Thanks for your help.

Chris

kaye
06-25-2001, 12:07 AM
Chris,

I asked because I was feeling a little uneasy about your initialization terminology. You must format (recommend a quick format) and install the driver before the drive will ever mount and be seen on the desktop for the first time. Not trying to insult your intelligence, you know this?

After the first time, a mounted drive can be reformated and reinitialized. k

billbo
06-25-2001, 03:14 AM
hey calley, I won't say for sure that this will work, but I heard someone else just ended up using "Western Digital" drivers than the original's.

Just make sure you have backups of the original, and try giving it a shot.

hope it'll work
Good Luck

------------------
Bill

"I made a conscience decision in a semi-conscience state"

calley
06-25-2001, 09:10 AM
The drive supposedly came initialized/formatted and ready to go. I thought??? The only software that it came with was the HDST. If it was not formatted and initialized originally, how should I proceed now? Just install new driver software? I thought HDST worked as the driver for it. Obviously not.
Thanks,

Chris

kaye
06-25-2001, 12:28 PM
OK, I think we are getting somewhere. I would be surprised if it did come ready to mount. I have not used HDST in a long time so you need to read the HDST User's Guide. I vaguely recall that you just launch HDST, select the drive (single click) and click Setup, something like that. It will do the entire process of formatting and intilizing and install the HDST driver. But check the manual, because it has been a long time since I used it and I don't have the latest version on this computer, nor have I ever tried a FireWire hard drive. There should also be a FireWire folder with a ReadMe. k

calley
06-25-2001, 12:42 PM
The problem is the FW HD does not show up on the desk top to select. When HDST does the scan for devices no FireWire devices show up. All of the other devices show up (Zip drive, Internal HD, External SCSI HD that I have as well as the Internal CD). The CDRW works but I think it is being controlled by Toast since HDST doesn't see it either. Maybe something is wrong with the HDST.

Chris

[This message has been edited by calley (edited 25 June 2001).]

kaye
06-25-2001, 12:46 PM
The 3.2.1 extension for FireWire you downloaded, maybe it is corrupted. Try another download and install it. k

calley
06-25-2001, 12:49 PM
I will try that. I have removed and reinstalled a few times but have always used the same download I saved.
Thanks,

Chris

kaye
06-25-2001, 12:54 PM
If the FW HD is not initialized and a driver installed, it will not show up on the desktop. No way it can.

"When HDST does the scan for devices no FireWire devices show up." OK, after launching HDST, is there something in the Apple Menu bar for selecting the FireWire bus? Or something in the HDST window for changing to the FireWire bus? Just asking because I don't know. Guess I'm going to have to get onto my PTP with HDST 3.2 and see whether it can find a FW device. Going to be later today, but I will check it. k

calley
06-25-2001, 01:06 PM
Only things in the Apple tool bar are the same as the screen shot. Scan for devices and print. Dean from EZ Quest did a scan, with a trouble shooting program and it picked up the device but something else is conflicting with HDST and preventing it from seeing the FW Devices.
Thanks,
Chris

calley
06-25-2001, 02:02 PM
Received different extensions from EZ Quest (FireSCSI Enabler, FireSCSI Expert, FireSCSI Generic Enabler, FireSCSI RAID Enabler, FireSCSI RBC RAID Enabler, FireSCSI Support) all version 1.7.1.3. Turned off the Ratoc driver. When I restarted HDST was able to see the FWHD. Selected the FWHD clicked the update button and there it was ready to go. Alot of work but ok in the end I guess. I'm not sure if these new versions were what was supposed to come in the 3.2.1 update or not.
Thanks for all your help and time.
Chris

[This message has been edited by calley (edited 25 June 2001).]

kaye
06-26-2001, 01:04 AM
I'm glad you were able to solve the problem. I was just going to report that HDST sees my EZQ FireWire CDRW, not with the HDST FireWire extension 3.2, but with the 3.2.1 version extension. k