PDA

View Full Version : Installing drives

sdavisj
06-13-2001, 02:19 PM
Ok, I have just installed two Cheetah 10k's with a Initio Miles2 card and the software. I am not seeing the drives on the desktop. This might be really stupid, but how do the drives get power? From the SCSI cable? The SCSI cable is all I have running to the drives.

sdavisj
06-13-2001, 02:23 PM
Sorry, I forgot that Chris had already answere this. But, While inside my Mac I saw it was very dusty. How do I clean it without damaging anything. Also, How do I set SCSI ID on Cheetahs?

Michael
06-13-2001, 03:01 PM
what model of mac are you mucking around in?

the cheetahs have to be powered up. inside your machine you will find power leads. they should have 2 or 3 extra sockets on them. one of those plugs into the back of the cheetah. there is no mistaking them for anything else. please disconnect your mac before doing this. also make sure you touch the metal box surrounding your mac's internal power supply. (where the power cable enters the back of your mac) this should discharge any static electricity you may be carrying.......deadly to various compnents inside your mac.

on the back of the cheetah there are small switches that determine the scsi id. did you get a manual with your cheetahs? it tells you what the appropriate configuration for the id number is.
what else do you have connected to your scsi card. if nothing, then you only have to change one of the cheetah's ids.
M

ChrisYip
06-13-2001, 04:46 PM
Worse comes to worse, you can always check the Seagate site for info on the jumper settings..

http://www.seagate.com for your specific model - I can also fax you a copy of the sheet if you need it

Chris

magician
06-15-2001, 03:57 AM
ok.

make sure you have SCSI and power connected to each drive.

on one drive, and one drive only, place one jumper on the set of pins farthest to the right on the right front lower edge of the drive. That will set that one drive to ID1.

next, flash your Miles2 firmware to 1.06b, and update SoftRAID to 2.2.2. Directions are on the Initio page on our main site.

then, use SoftRAID 2.2.2 to initialize the drives one at a time, and either create individual volumes, or create mirrored or striped partitions.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif