PDA

View Full Version : Another B&W G3 with booting problems

NoGroovy
06-08-2001, 04:26 PM
Hi Gurus,
I have a G3 that crapped out on me a year ago. Every once in awhile I dig it out and try to fix it. It sometimes boots fine under 8.6 but the second I upgrade it to OS 9 it hangs on a gray screen at start-up (even with extensions off). I have the most current firmware and HD drivers. I have come to the conclusion that OS 9 may call on the hardware in a different order than 8.6 when it boots, thus, causing the machine to hang. I sometimes will get a successful boot but then I am greeted with immediate address errors (I also had some "segmented loader" errors in there too, although I dont know what that means) when the desktop comes up. I also took it to a service center and they suggested a new logic board, but they didnt really have any idea what was wrong with it. Anyone have this experience before or know if OS 9 loads differently than 8.6?

Here is some other info:
The G3 is a B&W and the HD drivers are from the most recent version of Drive set-up. It wont boot off the OS 9 CD. The only OS that it will boot off of is 8.5 or 8.6. I have literally tried everything-you name it I have tried it. The G3 is not overclocked-350 from the factory. The machine is just as it was when it left the factory 350/128/12gig/zip/rage 128. The following is a list of all the testing I have done:

Reseated the processor, video card, RAM
Tried different RAM
Tried without HD connected
Tried with different HDs
Tried without CD connected
Tried a different OS 9 CD
Changed battery
Took out Zip drive
Reset with CUDA button
Pressed CUDA and Power at the same time while holding for ten seconds (after doing this I did get 1 successful boot in OS 9, but after that one time it never booted again)
Unplugged for 48 hours

There is just something different about 8.6 and 9 with the way they load...cause 9 hangs on gray screen before "smiley mac" but 8.6 boots fine.

Thanks for any feedback,

Chris

MacMikester
06-08-2001, 11:20 PM
til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60408?OpenDocument&software (http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60408?OpenDocument&software)
I'm fishing here, but have you applied this ROM update? I think it's the one that inhibits a G4 upgrade but you might need it.

magician
06-09-2001, 03:19 AM
i think that's an excellent start, MM.

fire it up off an 8.5 or 8.6 system CD, then apply the ROM update.

see if that gets you anywhere.

the thing is....OS9.1 is supposed to boot everything....if you require a firmware update, it TELLs you.

hmmm......