PDA

View Full Version : Installing drives and card

sdavisj
06-06-2001, 09:28 PM
I have in my hands two Cheetah 10k's, 8 screws, one Miles2 card, one internal SCSI cable (supplied with card), and SoftRaid 2.1. Now what? Please tell me if this is right:
1-install card in PCI slot
2-mount drives (does it matter where) in existing open bays.
3-plug cable into drives
4-plug cable into card
5-reattach power supply and fire up system
6-install SoftRaid (is it self explanatory?)

ChrisYip
06-06-2001, 09:37 PM
Pretty close

(1) ensure that your drives have DIFFERENT ID numbers - check the little sticker or the manual so you can set the drive ID's - this is the SCSI ID...

(2) install SoftRAID and run the updater so that you are using the latest version of the program.

I'm assuming here that you do have a boot volume already or that you're going to boot off the CD-ROM

SoftRAID is pretty self-explanatory.

Good luck - post up your results and any questions...

Chris

sdavisj
06-07-2001, 07:23 AM
What is a boot volume? If it is the software that came with the card then I do have it. Also, will the drives stay cool enough without an extra fan?

ChrisYip
06-07-2001, 09:00 AM
Hi...

Oh - quick clarification - are you replacing the original drive, or adding two new ones?. If it's the former than you will need to boot off your CD-ROM so that you can initialize and install the system software; If it's the latter, then boot as normal and set up the new drives using SoftRAID.

As for fans.

well - what machine is it going into?...

Chris

sdavisj
06-07-2001, 09:33 AM
I have an IDE drive with my programs and utilities on. The Cheetahs are for media storage only. (for FCP, Photshop, etc.) They are going in a G4 sawtooth. Also, sorry if this is a ridiculous question, I haveonly used esternal drives for media storage before. when starting the system we would always start the SCSI drives first, let them wind up and then start the computer. When the drives are installed internally how are they turned on and if they are powered up at the same time as the computer are they recognized?

ChrisYip
06-07-2001, 04:05 PM
ahh - now is all clear since you are using a Sawtooth...

The drives get power from your internal power supply (since they are mounted as such) - simple molex connectors.. they will be powered up, and spun up and the machine will scan them during the boot-up power-on sequence. You might find that your boot times will be longer since the machine will be scanning those drives as well...

Chris

sdavisj
06-07-2001, 09:31 PM
What are Molex connectors?

ChrisYip
06-07-2001, 11:36 PM
Molex are those somewhat square, translucent white connectors that have (usually) 4 wires coming out of them - You can usually trace them back to the power supply. They are female connectors and are keyed so that they only fit one way into your hard drive / CD-ROM etc...

Chris

magician
06-09-2001, 03:14 AM
one of the things the Mac does on boot is scan all buses and detect what is connected where (and how).

if you get to a desktop, it's generally because the Mac has successfully scanned all buses and identified or recognized what was attached.

if you look at your Mac while it boots, you will see your green lights ignite on the logic board, experience a pause before the chime, then hear and see the drives spin up. As the boot sequence continues, you will see the Mac return to the drives, and their activity lights will flicker at least once more (and usually more).

somewhere in there, you will get sync on your video display, and a smiley Mac.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif