PDA

View Full Version : LCD+CRT on latest G4

giagas
06-05-2001, 11:49 AM
I have a G4/533 Dual Processors with built-in ATI Radeon.
In addition to the Apple Cinema Display 22", I have to use a Barco Reference monitor as I need accurate color when I work with Photoshop. So I need a second video card. Do you think that the ATI Radeon PCI Mac Edition is a good choice to connect the Barco?
Is it possible some hardware/software conflicts installing on the same machine that second ATI card?
Any advises about using two different type of monitors (LCD + CRT) on the same latest G4 ?
Thanks.

Giancarlo Gasponi

magician
06-05-2001, 03:15 PM
GG, IMO, the Radeon PCI would be the best choice--presumably using all ATI drivers along with Apple drivers will yield the least problematic extensions mix.

we have encountered acceleration issues here with multiple Radeon configurations, but this was with all PCI Radeons--not with AGP.

I suspect a Radeon PCI will be your best bet.

giagas
06-05-2001, 10:09 PM
Apple states: " NOTE: the ATI Radeon card available from Apple is different from the "Radeon Mac Edition" card available from ATI Technologies inc. ".

So, to eliminate every problematic extensions mix, I think it would be better, as second video card, install the same ATI Radeon card that come with the machine.
They both will use the same software! .... or not?

The only problem is availability. Apple doesn't sells "his" Radeon cards separately...

Giancarlo

magician
06-06-2001, 12:49 AM
Apple's version is AGP.

the commercial versions are AGP and PCI.

your machine only has ONE AGP slot--and it is already occupied by an Apple/ATI AGP Radeon.

to run another display off that machine, you will need a PCI card, as your expansion slots are PCI slots. The best board for you, and I state this reservedly, would probably be an ATI Radeon PCI.

giagas
06-06-2001, 02:21 PM
You are right.... of course. I fear software conflicts. Two video cards with different softwares... In the past I had problems with an unique card!

Configuring a G4 at AppleStore you have the "Multiple Display Card" option menu to select a second video card, but only the ATI Rage 128 - 16MB SDRAM is available.
At this point I need to known the following:

1) Is it an Apple customized ATI card? In this case I assume I'll have no software conflict problem.

2) If it is simply an ATI retail version, then I'll prefer the superior Radeon card.

3) Where can I look for that information? AppleStore told me to ask to the Apple Tech support but the tech support told me to ask to the AppleStore! Nobody knows it! Someone knows where can I look for that information?

Thanks

Giancarlo

[This message has been edited by giagas (edited 06 June 2001).]

magician
06-09-2001, 03:07 AM
no idea....but I would strongly suspect that it will be the retail version.

only one way to find out, though.