PDA

View Full Version : RAM weirdness

s.d. finley
05-29-2001, 02:36 PM
I have overclocked my Beige G3 to 535mhz, its in a cool room w/ lots of ventalation, and the temp never goes over 107F. I have these weird problems whenever i change my disk cache from 512k to default, upon reboot mac will freeze.
I booted w/ extensions off, ran Tech tool, and i get varring RAM errors, its never consistant on the test. The error vary, in total #, one time 147 errors, another 47 errors. Also, in the six test that TTP, performs, sometimes one will pass that just failed last time i ran the test, a few minutes, and viceversa.

TTP, says on the "advice", mac might be getting to hot and the solder connects on my RAM are having trouble. Do i have substandard RAM? I am rolling the dice by overclocking ? Granted, when i have these errors, sometimes the MAC is on for over 8 hrs.
ANY advice is very welcomed!

thnx

sdf

kaye
05-29-2001, 02:55 PM
The G3 processor that you have overclocked, what is it and what is its stock speed? k

s.d. finley
05-29-2001, 03:03 PM
the cpu is an OWC Ibm copper 2.2 PPC 750 @466MHZ, I am using xlr8 backside cache
enabler running 213 mhz @ 1mb.

sdf

Dogstarman
05-29-2001, 03:58 PM
Yikes. My 3 least favorite terms:

1) OWC
2) Overclocked
3) Errors

When did the problems occur first? WHen did you overclock? Why not put everything back where it belonged and see how it goes?

Chances are, if you are getting RAM errors and "random" freezes, next in line is data corruption. I realize you are running about 15% faster than stock speed. But it appears you are experiencing at least 15% more problems. Try backing down from the bleeding edge and see what happens. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Louie
05-29-2001, 06:21 PM
As described a month or so ago in another thread, I had to replace two of those CPUs from OWC that had been running 500 and 533 in beige G3s. Same for others that participated in that same thread. They feigned bad RAM and other maladies. Replace with XLR8 500 MHz CPUs solved the problems.

magician
05-30-2001, 04:02 AM
shaking head.

s.d. finley
05-30-2001, 11:44 AM
Blasted, i recently purchased all new RAM, no less than 4 months ago. I guess its time to save up for a new CPU.
Whats strange is that the G3 will run great overclocked as long as i keep the disk cache @ 512k, but as soon as i change it all the weirdness happens.

thnx

sdf