PDA

View Full Version : jazz drives

Mactacular
04-24-2001, 03:43 PM
hey, is it true that jazz drives degrade over time? just curious

MacMikester
04-24-2001, 05:24 PM
Somebody who absolutely freakin' hates them less than me will have to give you a more balanced answer. I have lost a lot of data to Jaz cartridges. The cartridges, not the drives, are what I think you are asking about but I'm sure the drives suck too. And, yes the Iomega driver keeps sparing out what it thinks are bad blocks and when it gets to the end of the spares, the disk is suddenly and irretrievably toasted. Usually, the Click of Death entertains you while you shriek in agony. The aerodynamics of the drives really suck...but the cartridges will do nicely as clay pidgeons if you're into skeet or trap.

jorge
04-24-2001, 06:53 PM
damn MM, that was funny shit. Kinda expensive clay pigeons if you ask me.

I used the Jaz drive for backups about 3 years ago. Well, I learned from my mistake. Iomega has replaced the disk, 3 years later. It always managed to fall through the cracks.

Wouldn't recommend them, nor know what the shelf life is. The only reason I have one connected to my machine is in anticipation that I will get some artwork from a customer on one. It only happened once.

j

tm311
04-24-2001, 08:24 PM
4 letters.....CD-RW!!!!!! zip and jaz are for sado-masocists!!!!

TonyTasty
04-24-2001, 08:36 PM
ouch. s'pretty brutal. How about Peerless? Any Takers?

TonyTasty
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif

Mactacular
04-24-2001, 08:39 PM
The peerless drive is pretty disgusting, now that everyone hates the expiring Jaz drives, theyre trying to make another large $350 "storage sensation".

MacMikester
04-24-2001, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I know jorge. I've got six of them, three of which have been replaced three times and and the other three have been replaced twice. But there's a lifetime guarantee..........I can lose data for the rest of my life..............or....................I can blast the shit out of them.

I know I can get at least four of them in one set..............................PULL!!!

[This message has been edited by MacMikester (edited 24 April 2001).]

magician
05-20-2001, 03:51 AM
the part I REALLY love is the cost: $85 EACH for those stupid cartridges!

may Iomega burn for the Jaz.

it's horrible.

Macdaddi2u
05-27-2001, 07:46 PM
So can I assume that what TM311 posted , the CDRW is a good low cost solution for back up?

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 27 May 2001).]

M.Brane
05-27-2001, 11:26 PM
I would trust optical removables over magnetic any day. Sticky tape and rust is dinosaur technology. http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
Too bad ignorance isn't painful.

magician
05-28-2001, 03:58 PM
CDRW is probably the cheapest backup technology ever. Media is extremely affordable (sometimes under a buck per 650MB piece), devices are increasingly fast, affordable, and support background burning....one type of media that shouldn't be forgotten, however, is the simple backup hard drive. There is no faster way to backup than a drag-copy in the Finder, or better, a redundant write to a RAID 1. With the low cost of drives, the speed of drives, and the five year warranties and long MTBF ratings, backup drives are an excellent medium.

heck. Even FireWire drives are getting really useful. They are fast enough, they automount, and you can stick some of them in shirt pocket!

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif