PDA

View Full Version : Norton Antivirus

Macdaddi2u
05-24-2001, 09:31 PM
I have an 8500, due to missing files, I needed to install new system software. I installed OS 9.1, since I do the occasional download, I thought it might be prudent to install, norton antivirus. I noticed in the system software install instructions, a note saying "turn off any anti virus protection" before installing. After going through the book, and the help for norton, I could not find how to turn it off. Is it as simple as turning off "auto protect"? Do other application programs require the antivirus to be turned off before install and then scanned? hardly makes sense but all this is sort of new to me.

M.Brane
05-24-2001, 11:25 PM
I keep auto protection and similar stuff(menu blinking, calc. folder size,etc.) off for the speed boost. Basically, if it ain't necessary for anything to run ,it's off. When I download a file, I throw it on the desktop and scan it before opening.

HTH

mactheripper
05-25-2001, 04:43 PM
A classic question.

The whole anwer is that back in System 6-7 days, the really popular antivirus software was Disinfectant, before Norton came out with AntiVirus. One of the most powerful ways D would protect was by preventing file writing during certain times and by unidentified processes. Installation routines often violated this rule, so D could actually cause install failure or weird disk corruption if it interfered with file writes.

Hence, the warnings to turn it off. The newer software is more elegant, and usually doesn't mess with that type of file creation, but you can set Norton to be as harsh as you want. In the Prevention section of the prefs, I recommend "Standard: look for common virus-like activity" as the setting, and you can probably leave this on without having to disable anything for installations.

There are so few Mac viruses besides macro viruses that I just scan once a week or so and leave it at that.

Macdaddi2u
05-25-2001, 05:39 PM
I think the picture is a little more clear now, I created two safe zones for the auto protect. Those are the places I would download to. So I can turn off the auto protect and set in the preferences the least scrutinous setting and just change them when something new is coming in, right?

magician
05-25-2001, 10:16 PM
generally, you can just leave them enabled, and then tell NAV to "remember" or to "allow" when you install.

i would advise disabling the autoprotect features, however, by physically disabling those extensions. Those sorts of resources are often implicated in crashes. Others may disagree. I disable them. Just my opinion.

Macdaddi2u
05-26-2001, 08:30 PM
I just looked through the extesions (for me a wasted excercise) and the extension manager (more helpful with the more info) and couldn't find anything identified as the auto-protect extension. Can I assume when you say physically disabling, you mean taking the extension over to the disabled file?

M.Brane
05-26-2001, 10:05 PM
Actually that is what the extension manager is for. You can get info on MOST ext.(M$ seems to like to keep us in the dark about their's) turn things on & off, & make diff. sets for diff. tasks. There are also some 3rd party utilities that go more in-depth.

HTH LOL

Macdaddi2u
05-27-2001, 04:51 PM
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Macdaddi2u (edited 27 May 2001).]