PDA

View Full Version : update drivers 8500

Macdaddi2u
05-23-2001, 03:27 AM
Recently removed powerlogix g3 daughtercard from my 8500. Expecting XLR8 card in a day or so. I lost some files in the process. The computer wont boot up, except with the extensions off. New OS 9.1 is on the way. It was suggested I "update my disk drivers" first.....Clueless what do I do and how do I do it?

dragon_x
05-23-2001, 07:33 AM
I lost some files in the process.
odd

The computer wont boot up, except with the extensions off.
So did you put back the stock CPU? What system are you running? Why did you remove the PLogix?

It was suggested I "update my disk drivers" first.....Clueless what do I do and how do I do it?
Normally when you install an Apple OS, the installer will check the disk and update the drivers - IF they are Apple drivers. I always use Apple driver, except when setting up RAID configs or in a RARE case when the drive will not support Apple drivers.

Since you lost data, I would assume you do not have anything backed up. You REALLY NEED to BACKUP your important data. Are your drives SCSI? If so is the bus setup correctly? You should probably work on make your data secure before you go off and install a new OS.

Macdaddi2u
05-23-2001, 01:05 PM
I guess that was not clear. I own an 8500, I purchased it used several months back. about 1 week ago I bought and put a powerlogix G3/500 daughter card in. It did not work so I removed it. I reset the button on the mother board and put the 604 back in. When it came back on I got a message that "the finder could not start up" it was unable to find a library. I can get it to boot up with the extesions off. It came running OS 9, but did not arrive with the original software CD. Not having any, I just purchased new, a copy of OS 9.1 and an XLR8 G3/500 card. It was suggested to me that I update my drivers before I put in the new OS or the G3/500 card. I do not have an instruction manual for either the 8500, or the operating system. Since this is a first for me, my question is regarding updating the drivers, what do I do and how do I do it?

magician
05-23-2001, 07:01 PM
ok, it's easy.

insert the CD, find the Utilities folder, then fire up Drive Setup.

on the 9.1 CD-ROM, this should be version 2.03, I believe.

point it at each drive you have attached to your machine, and tell it to update or install drivers. If you want to be really meticulous, backup all your data, boot off the OS9.1 CD-ROM, and tell Drive Setup to initialize the drive. This starts you off fresh.You can then install OS9.1 on the drive, and you are up and running.

the next thing to do is install theXLR8 software, shut down, then install the new daughercard. Life will be good.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Macdaddi2u
05-23-2001, 07:30 PM
Ok, I failed to mention something. The computer wont boot up unless the extensions are off. with the extenstions off, it doesnt recognize the cd drive. Starting up with any cd in the drive and holding down "C" and restarting results in the message "The finder could not start up because a system library could not be found....DragLib - Set DragImage. Am I being thick headed again?

MacMikester
05-23-2001, 07:39 PM
Yup. (sorry, had to go for it). Put a bootable CD (like the OS 9.1 CD) in the drive and use the "C" key to start up from that CD. You will then have a working system and finder off of the CD.

Oh yeah, life will be good

M.Brane
05-23-2001, 11:11 PM
Hang in there, Rob. I learned more about SCSI from these pages than any book I own! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

magician
05-24-2001, 12:17 PM
right. A bootable system CD like the OS9.1 CD has CD-ROM drivers that automatically load.

you do need a genuine system CD. Holding the C-key down on boot will force the Mac to load the CD driver off the CD-ROM, and boot off the system CD.

Macdaddi2u
05-24-2001, 09:19 PM
I got my OS 9.1 today, It is installed and my 8500 seems to be running along happily enough. . I am not going to call it slow anymore, my centris 650 is slow. I am grateful that I had the 650 though, it kept me in touch with you. Some other files were not salvageable (in the 8500),and for that i am unhappy, but I am sure I have myself to blame for that too. I am very grateful for the help you have given my on a number of levels, even though I have suffered losses for whatever the reason, the cost would have been far greater without your help and indulgence. Thanks again, you are the Best!! Rob