PDA

View Full Version : EZ-Q DVD-RAM & Retrospect

giagas
05-06-2001, 10:32 AM
On my G4/533 running OS 9.1, Retrospect Duplicating speed is 7 MB/min. on EZQ DVD-RAM and Intech Software SpeedTools 5.7. Finder copy speed is 60MB/min, but I need Retrospect as it perform Verification after write. Workaround guided by Dantz support gave no results. Any idea?
Do you know some other application that performs write-verification?
thanks

gg

MacMikester
05-06-2001, 11:22 AM
Hey g,

What was the workaround suggested by Dantz? There is nothing more reliable or dependable than Retrospect in my opinion. It is solid, dependable, thorough and safe.

giagas
05-06-2001, 05:08 PM
Dantz Support suggested to:
1- Disable option to utilize the drive's Read After Write verification.
2- Disable disk caching schemes.
3- Rely on DVD-RAM TuneUp to format all DVD-RAM disks as the Finder isn't really
formatting the disks in the sense of laying down drivers on them.
4- Format the disk on the highest UDF format, then disable any Speedtools extensions.
5- Update OS 9.0.4 to Mac OS 9.1
6- Create a file backup set instead of a removable backup set and save it to the disk.
Thanks.
gg

MacMikester
05-06-2001, 05:43 PM
Well g, I have Retrospect but I don't have a DVD-RAM. I find it hard to believe that the Dantz recommendations didn't have a big impact though, especially no.1. If you truly had RAW verification on and then disabled it, that should have made a big difference.

One thing you mentioned still has me confused. You mentioned the Duplicating speed and the Dantz recommendation no.6 refers to Back Up options. Duplicating and backing up are two different functions in Retrospect, Which are you actually doing? I'm guessing you are doing Back ups. Are you using compression? If you look in your Retrospect log and you are backing up with verification, you will see two rates reported, one for 'copy' and one for 'compare'. What are these two numbers?

giagas
05-07-2001, 01:13 PM
Premised that:
1- I prefer Duplicate options as It makes easy to restore image file/s without relaunch every time Retrospect. I just double-clik on the files I need to open. Moreover, I can catalog every disk creating thumbnails by TRI-Catalog program. I can't do it with backup file as it comprimes data.
2- I need verification. In fact, in my first message, I ask you for other applications that have that functions.

Here are what you asked:
"Copy" and "compare" rates (refering to a 40MB folder containig 450 text files) are the following:

- Duplicate ............................................. 13,7 MB/minute (7,2 copy, 138,2 compare)
- Backup to Macintosh File set ......... 17,9 MB/minute (9,5 copy, 147,4 compare)
- Backup to Removable Disk set ....... 33,0 MB/minute (18,5 copy, 147,4 compare)

I perform this tests again right to provide you with accurate results. This time the operations worked a little faster!
I think You are in a good track. Thanks.
gg

MacMikester
05-07-2001, 10:39 PM
OK g,

I think you have the basis of a good test, repeating the 40 MB folder backup but changing one variable at a time. It seems that reads from the DVD (compares) are OK but you have a big problem with writes (copys) to the DVD. Try the simplest configuration. Start with the SpeedTools driver, write caching disabled, RAW disabled , most basic settings, then add one change at a time. Make sure no other competing drivers for removable media are present in your system. Make sure your system and volume structures are healthy (e.g. run Disk Doctor, etc.). Make sure your Finder info and desktop files are OK. prego

magician
05-08-2001, 03:50 AM
re:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>3- Rely on DVD-RAM TuneUp to format all DVD-RAM disks as the Finder isn't really
formatting the disks in the sense of laying down drivers on them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DVD-RAM TuneUp is a separate piece of formatting software which is not recommended or endorsed by MacGurus. It is occasionally included with DVD-RAM, though recently released devices normally include an OEM version of Intech CD/DVD SpeedTools, which is vastly superior and preferred, in our opinion.

MacMikester
05-08-2001, 11:13 PM
Got this idea from another thread: what happens if you format the DVD cart as HFS+?

giagas
05-09-2001, 07:25 AM
"... Start with the SpeedTools driver, write caching disabled, RAW disabled , most basic settings, then add one change at a time. ...."

I didn't find "write caching" and "RAW". In SpeedTools Control Panel I find "Directory Cache" and "Streaming Cache" only.

Anyway, I performed three tests all in Duplicate function, and I got the following rates:
Disabling both caches: Performance: 12,0 MB/minute (6,6 copy, 67,2 compare)
Disabling Directory Cache only: Performance: 12,4 MB/minute (6,8 copy, 68,6 compare)
Disabling Streaming Cache only: Performance: 13,0 MB/minute (7,2 copy, 68,6 compare)
Both on default values: Performance: 13,7 MB/minute (7,2 copy, 138,2 compare)

Also, I already tried to format the disk in HFS+ but without result.

gg

[This message has been edited by giagas (edited 09 May 2001).]

giagas
05-19-2001, 08:56 PM
" There is nothing more reliable or dependable than Retrospect in my opinion. It is solid, dependable, thorough and safe. "

Dear MacMikester, I am sorry to disappoint you. Here is the latest EZQuest message I received:

" Dantz informed me that they are fixing the problem by restructuring the way they do backup. Currently dantz has to occupy multiple sectors to backup a drive. this makes backup on a dvd-ram drive very slow as each sector is very large. They are fixing this issue with their new version 5.0 which should debut sometime this month we hope.

Adam Tipps
Technician
EZQuest Inc.

OK, but Dantz declares that Retrospect 4.3 already supports Backup on DVD. That's not precisely true...

gg

[This message has been edited by giagas (edited 19 May 2001).]

magician
05-20-2001, 03:28 AM
fortunately there are lots of alternatives to Retrospect.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MacMikester
05-20-2001, 01:12 PM
Hey gg,

I am a little disappointed, but I would be curious to hear what Dantz technical support has to say about that specific issue of restructuring the backup methodology to accommodate DVD backups. In fact, I will call them myself tomorrow to see what they have to say. It is a subject of interest to more than you and I, I think.

Regards

giagas
05-24-2001, 05:44 PM
"fortunately there are lots of alternatives to Retrospect."

For example?

gg

MacMikester
05-24-2001, 06:16 PM
I did talk to Retrospect support and they confirmed that they are aware of and working on the problem. It does not affect all drives or combinations of drives and drivers so they don't know exactly what the problem is. Not much info, I am afraid.

magician
05-24-2001, 07:45 PM
i was being sarcastic.