PDA

View Full Version : swapping HD in an external

Macdaddi2u
05-19-2001, 06:33 PM
I am planning to upgrade my 8500 very soon. One alternative I was thinking about is taking my Old HD (2 GB w/OS9) and sticking it in a external case I have now. The external is a CMS platinum lite, but the HD only has like 250mb or something like that. I have opened it up, there doesnt look to be a big problem, just plug in the power plug, the ribbon plug, but there is a wire that is soldered, whats that? Will this work? If so what changes will I have to make to the HD going in? Help! Rob

magician
05-20-2001, 03:45 AM
you may need to figure out the SCSI ID switch in the backplane of the enclosure and how it interfaces with the drive. That would be my guess.

Macdaddi2u
05-20-2001, 04:42 AM
Thanks magician, I would like to do this, I have opened the unit up, and physically, it looks pretty simple, looks are usually deceiving though. This will have to go on the back burner for now though, because I have more serious problems to conquer in my 8500. I have been over there looking at my posting about it and right now feel a little sick to my stomach.

magician
05-21-2001, 04:20 AM
no need for that. Keep it simple, and pay attention to the moderators. They will try to keep the thread on-track, and minimize distractions and noise. We have a good track record here, as long as you pay attention to the moderators. They know their stuff, and they can help.