PDA

View Full Version : Energy Saver

pixpicker
05-05-2001, 07:16 PM
Hi.....it's been awhile. We're having a problem at work with Energy Saver on our B&W G3's. One unit would drop the network after sleeping, others would freeze. First we tried disabling the extension but that didn't work. Then we eliminated it from the system but the units still go to sleep and exhibit the same problems. BTW, they are all running OS 8.6. Any suggestions?

kaye
05-05-2001, 07:49 PM
The settings for Energy Saver go into PRAM/NVRAM, I'm not sure which. You can disable or trash Energy Saver but those settings remain in PRAM/NVRAM. However if you clear the PRAM or NVRAM at any point, those three settings in PRAM/NVRAM go back to a default 30 minutes even with Energy Saver trashed. The one problem with trashing it is that you cannot reset those three settings to what you want.

You need the Energy Saver stuff back. Then remember that a Zap the PRAM, or Zap it while holding down the keys for three bongs to clear PRAM and NVRAM, or for those who have it, a Cuda Reset, one or more of those methods will reset the Energy Saver to a default 30 minutes. I'm just not sure whether a simple Zap the PRAM will do it. I forget easily. k

pixpicker
05-05-2001, 08:32 PM
Thanks Kaye. I'll try that. Why do you suppose it crashes or drops the network after it wakes up?

Michael
05-05-2001, 11:23 PM
best bet is to turn install energy saver-zap the Pram and then trun all pre settings in energy saver off, but leave it there.
M

Michael
05-07-2001, 06:38 PM
Did that make any sense to anyone?
what i wanted to say is-install/enable energy saver extension...go into the preferences and turn everything off.
M

kaye
05-07-2001, 08:11 PM
pix,

I have no idea why it crashes or drops the network. We have a network in the house but none of the machines are set to sleep for any of the prefs. Someone with more network knowledge needs to jump in here. Networking is magic to me. k

magician
05-08-2001, 03:37 AM
it has to be a conflict of some kind...it could be an 8.6 problem with the Yose.

all our machines here are on a LAN, and they all sleep and wake up without problems, whether they are running OS8.1, 8.6, 9.1, or X.

our Yose runs 9.1 and X.

Energy Saver works perfectly.

reinstall the system software, do a clean install....do not integrate old extensions, fonts, etc....set Energy Saver settings.

see what happens. When it works right, one-by-one, reintegrate your old software resources into the new system folder. If you methodically test, step by step, you will find the culprit.