PDA

View Full Version : PCI-USB Card

bfeely
05-01-2001, 12:35 PM
I am having problems printing Photoshop 6.0.1 files from my Mac 9600/350 (G4 200/400) . My Epson 1160 is attached to my Mac via a MacSurfer BusBridge PCI to USB adaptor card (12 Mbps Data Transfer). I can print a small file, say about 12MB (RGB tiff) but, if I rotate it in the print option box, (portrait to landscape) or print anything larger my computer freezes about 25% into the print.

I have just updated/reinitialised/reformatted my disk drivers, to my knowledge this is not an extension conflict, and I have the latest USB card support from Apple 1.4.1. installed. I have 300MB allocated to Photoshop, and 80MB allocated to Epson Monitor3. I am using the latest driver for Epson 1160 which is 6.3aE.

Reading the back of the MacSurfer box, it says that their PCI card contains the OPTi Firelink USB chip used inside the new iMacs. I am wondering if it is worth my while trying to use the latest driver for the iMac instead (IMac version 5.54Es) as opposed to the one I already have which is really designed for serial connectivity. Epson won't provide technical support to a printer that is connected via a USB card as opposed to inbuilt USB on iMac, G3 and G4.

Any thoughts or work arounds? Would it help if I bought my self another brand of PCI to USB card? Is there a piece of software that I can download that will let me monitor transfer rate from my USB card to my printer?

Thanks

------------------
Bernadette Feely
Graphic Artist

[This message has been edited by bfeely (edited 01 May 2001).]

crazyeights
05-02-2001, 12:58 AM
Hi bernadette,

I think your idea of using the iMac usb driver hack is probably your best first idea.....but first, how about a hardware/OS rundown on your machine?

Many of those Epsons have the old style Apple printer port on them. You could try just putting a standard printer cable on it and see what happens. There would at least be the benefit of running hard wire from Mac to printer. Unless that printer is really fast, I would think you should be able to move data into the printer buffer fast enough to get the job done.

Got the model, but what is the OS and physical RAM? I'm not going to assume that your stated memory allocation is physical versus virtual memory. If this problem is occuring while running 400MB+ of physical memory, try the iMac driver hack.

Magician can say for sure, but MacSurfer is not a brand I've ever heard MacGuru's endorse. I guess if all else fails, you could try a guru's endorsed PCI USB card.

Keep us posted how it goes....

Best to you,

Dave

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 02 May 2001).]

magician
05-02-2001, 01:39 AM
right.

never heard of MacSurfer, and we are definitely fascists about hardware.

i have commented elsewhere on the forums about the frequency of reported problems with Epson drivers.....

I'm not sure what to propose here. Which G4 board are you using? Are you running OS9.1?

Louie
05-02-2001, 08:36 AM
She's using a 604 9600. See http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000204.html .

bfeely
05-02-2001, 09:23 AM
I have just spoken to technical support at MacSurfer and apparently I am missing an extension, so they are sending me another application CD in the post. I should receive it in a couple of days.

If I still can't get a print out of my computer after this, then I will look seriously at purchasing a superior PCI USB card.

Thanks

------------------
Bernadette Feely
Graphic Artist

bfeely
05-05-2001, 02:04 PM
Well I have received my new extension from Swann Communications who manfactured my PCI USB card and I am NOW getting a print at 20MB file size, 720dpi output and it takes 6 minutes, 10 seconds.

However, ideally I would like a 1440dpi print, and this would take about 12 minutes, but I find that my computer still freezes after about 7-8 minutes (60%) into the print. It is argued that there is very little difference between 720dpi and 1440dpi, and there isn't, but there is some difference and I would like to maximise the quality of my output.

The output from my printer will be used to create a custom ICC Profile (it will be scanned by a profile maker), and to create an accurate profile I need to be confident that I can maintain a consistent dpi output.

I know that when I receive my MacOS 9.1 it will have some new extensions:

USB Support 1.4.6
USB Device Extension 1.4.8
USB Software Locator 1.4.8

but I wouldn't have thought that newer extensions would speed up my print process or make it more stable - or would it? If so, do you know where I can download these extensions, or without the 9.1 it might create other problems.

As I am going to have to wait possibly a few weeks, it is on order from Alsoft as a bundle with PlusMaker and PlusMaximiser on a CD, I would like to be put out of my misery as soon as possible.

Is this is a data crunching problem? What hardware would you recommend if I wanted to maximise speed of output from a Photoshop file to my Epson printer.

A reminder that my setup is:

9600/350 with 400/200 G4 card upgrade card from Newer Technology.
9.0.4. but upgrading to 9.1 in a week or two.

I have two internal hard disks and one external scsi device: -
Internal:
1. Apple Hard Disk ID : 0
Partition = 1
Driver Version : 8.1.4 (Apple)
Vendor: IBM
Revision No. 565A
Size : 4GB
Mac OS Standard

2. Segate Hard Disk ID : 5
Partition = 1
Driver version 3.0.2 (FWB)
Model No : ST39173N
Size : 9GB
Mac OS Standard

Regards

------------------
Bernadette Feely
Graphic Artist

[This message has been edited by bfeely (edited 05 May 2001).]

kaye
05-05-2001, 06:36 PM
I can't help you with the USB printer problem but I noticed something which I believe needs attention.

2. Segate Hard Disk ID : 5
Partition = 1
Driver version 3.0.2 (FWB)
Model No : ST39173N
Size : 9GB
Mac OS Standard

If you are running OS9.0.4, FWB HDT version 3.0.2 driver is not sufficient. I have used 3.0.2 up thru OS8.6 with no problems, but you need at least HDT 4.0 for compatibility with OS9.0.4 and probably HDT 4.5 with OS9.1. That is my recollection anyway. k

tm311
05-05-2001, 08:52 PM
bfeely: sort of off topic....but i am using the new epson prostylus 9500 and am also going to build my own ICC profiles using MonacoProof and a Spectracam to read the output...i would love to discuss "color management" with you maybe offline...if you have time drop me an email at : timjudym@sover.net

I think i have Photoshop 6.0 down pretty well printing to many different devices..its quark that seems to have a mind of its own at times.

As for your problem printing large files...do you have this same problem printing out of Quark (if you are even using a rip) or an older version of PS?

MacMikester
05-05-2001, 10:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I installed Softraid 2.2.2 on both my Apple and Seagate drives. With the Apple (ID:0) I fully reinitialized and reformated from Mac OS Standard to HFS+.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> This is from your post in your other thread, dated 29 April. I am very confused about your exact setup at this point.

The easiest way to update system software is to use the Software Update Control Panel. The USB stuff for which you are looking is available through the automatic install process using that Apple software.

bfeely
05-06-2001, 02:09 AM
Sorry, I should just mention that both my Hard Drives have been updated to Softraid 2.2.2. And my Seagate drive is now at ID:1. Both disks are HFS+ and have been defragged.

I took the previous info from an old thread.

I also have 448MB of RAM, 200MB allocated to Photoshop, 120MB to Epson Print Monitor (not sure if this right, but I was starting to experiment when all else failed - it still doesn't work mind). I have about 100MB of RAM for my hard disk and 5GB of scratch disk space.

I will try the Software Update Control Panel.

I only print to Photoshop, no other application at present, and I do not have Quark installed. You can email me directly Tim at bfeely@bernadettefeely.com if you want to compare colour management settings.

Regards

------------------
Bernadette Feely
Graphic Artist

[This message has been edited by bfeely (edited 06 May 2001).]

bfeely
05-06-2001, 03:15 AM
Hi

I did some more tests, and I think everything is fine now.

Thanks for your replies.

Regards

------------------
Bernadette Feely
Graphic Artist

MacMikester
05-06-2001, 09:50 AM
Hello b,

That's great. I wonder just how much Renoir knew about the rag composition or acid content of his canvasses, or the glue in his brushes. Oh well, it's a different day and age http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif