PDA

View Full Version : MAC OS 9.1 ???

Bayermann
04-24-2001, 12:18 PM
I'm still on 9.0.4 and was wondering what benefit I would have from upgrading to 9.1.
I'm mainly using Audio stuff (Cubase, Logic, Protools LE).
I do get occasional crashes, but not too many, so I could live with it.
Any opinions?
Cheers

G4 400, 320 bm Ram

Bayermann
04-24-2001, 12:21 PM
320 mb of course, not bm :-)
My fingers seem to do what they want. Maybe I should get some sleep;-)

MacMikester
04-24-2001, 05:36 PM
Hey Bm, heh, heh,

Here's what I think the skinny is: You can probably get a lot of the improvements from 9.1 by using Software Update to download updated system components but there's some optimization (like more PPC code, less 6080x code) that you get in 9.1. It's a tad snappier in my opinion. It does jam your root level files around around to where it wants them when you install, so don't freak (like I did, thinking they were gone) to set up to be the "classic" OS that works with OS X. In my opinion, it's always at least marginally better to stay current with the OS.

kaye
04-24-2001, 08:36 PM
I agree with MM but you want to be sure that Cubase, Logic, Protools LE are compatible before doing so. k

Michael
04-26-2001, 10:32 AM
my rule of thumb especially with audio stuff is: if you've got everything configured to where it is working nicely and efficiently, then don't mess with it.unless you have a very compelling reason to upgrade. the improvements are not monumental and the so-called speed boost will have no impact on your audio work.
just curious? what causes your 'occasional crashes'?
M

magician
04-27-2001, 12:03 AM
this is kind of a good question.....it's late, and it's been a few weeks....what did we gain when we migrated up to OS9.1?

I forget.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ChrisYip
04-27-2001, 08:53 AM
A not-so-subtle reorganization of your hard drive for the eventual assimilation into OS X land

...I had my machines just tuned in under 9.0.4 and then the 9.1 spectre appeared.. it's funny - of the 4 machines I updated, I'd say that it's been about 80% successful in that there are very few problems. Some were "Chris-induced" i.e. ignoring warning about installing OS X on the same partition as your 9.1,... but for the most part, it seems happy. I need to pare down my Extensions list on my laptop as I drop into MacsBug far too often...

Chris.

mactheripper
04-30-2001, 12:14 AM
Not jack if you don't plan on migrating the machine to OSX.

Like, if the machine is rock-solid and has an as-yet-unsupported G3 upgrade.

That's why I still run 8.6 like a champ. It's always fresh, with twice the http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/phat.gif

PENDRAGON18
04-30-2001, 08:06 AM
what did we gain when we migrated up to OS9.1?

Well the USB and Firewire support is MUCH, MUCH BETTER. I can not believe it took APPLE SOOOOO long to really support Firewire. I mean we all know they invented it and it takes them TWO YEARS to develop native support. Finally no 3rd party drivers and retarded registration codes! http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I do like the way 9.1 organizes the directories and it still works with all my software. Word 5.1a is still kick'n strong and way more stable that ORIFICE 0-none!

I think some aspects of VM and Filesharing were improved in 9 (not sure if it was 9.1, 9.04, 9.02 or what...) Another plus - TTPro, DW and SoftRAID support 9.1

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!

Bayermann
04-30-2001, 12:52 PM
Well, after reading all this, I think I should go with Michaels advice. My system is rather reliable, so why change.
By the way Michael, I don't really know where the occasional crashes come from, but they are really very rare, so I never bothered to find out. I believe computers just crash sometimes, I mean, I'm unhappy sometimes, so is my computer (no I'm not one of those guys who mistake a computer for a human :-)
I think messing around with all these free CDs that come with magazines, that's what I have to stop doing, but it's so tempting...another essential tool here, a demo of the latest supersoftware there, but I'm learning to control myself ;-)
Cheers,

BM

niktu
04-30-2001, 01:51 PM
Just to let you all know that Cubase 5.0 runs fine on OS 9.1. So far I've had extremely limited system crashes with 9.1. Seems to be very stable. Probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade.

niktu

Michael
04-30-2001, 06:17 PM
you might want to check your extensions and preferences folders in the system file. if you don't clean it out regularly you'llbe amazed at what redundant, greasy goodies all those little demos, freeware and shareware lay in there.
i mean, rare or not, the last thing you want is a crash when you're laying down that inspired groove or putting the last touch on the mix of decade!
M

Bayermann
05-01-2001, 08:37 AM
Michael, does it actually make a difference if there are loads of old prefs in the prefs folder? I would have thought they just occupy space on the harddrive but nothing else.
I understand why extensions are critical, and I got rid of everything I don't really need for Audio...with the help of this great site http://www.logicuser.net/extensions/browse.php3
By the way, after startup my system is at 35.9 Mb. Is that a good value? Before tweaking I was at 60Mb so I thought that's pretty allright now.
Great forum, thanks for all replies,

BM

Michael
05-01-2001, 05:49 PM
no-prefs aren't a problem unless they're corrupted and are being used. but if they take HD space for nothing why keep them.
39 is a good number for the OS
M