PDA

View Full Version : internal or external hard drive?

king
04-14-2001, 03:55 PM
I see that an internal hard drive would be faster, but might an external firewire hard drive suite me well? Not only for my video capture requirements but also because it's safer from a system crash? Should I be concerned about that?

I guess I don't need to backup the video, just have a place for it to go while I work with it, right?

Michael King

Louie
04-14-2001, 08:53 PM
There really are no such things as internal HD's and external HD's; there are only raw HD's. They are either mounted internally or someone mounts them in an external enclosure.

Drives mounted in external enclosures can be just as fast as drives mounted internally when hosted properly. They cost more in proper cabling, connectors, power supply and the enclosure. There is also more chance of picking up electronic noise because of the connectors and cables.

To this point, to the best of my knowledge, all so-called FireWire drives are ATA drives with bridge circuits and are still quite slow; too slow for video work except storage. I think they are all in external enclosures. I believe Apple has removed internal FireWire connectors.

I'll have to think about that crash question; not sure that Firewire would be any different, although you won't be booting from it.

TonyTasty
04-24-2001, 08:45 PM
Are you comfortable cracking open your case? if so id say go for an internal drive. Youve gotta keep in mind too that although its great to carry around 30 gigs in your pocket, the price'll be hard to swallow.

TonyTasty
http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/dance.gif

ChrisYip
04-24-2001, 09:04 PM
Depends on your application. Some people like having external drives, esp FireWire, for data drives since you can basically tote them over to another machine should your main machine die for some reason and you need to get your data up and running. Internal saves you from having to find somewhere to stick the drive and power it up. One typically needs some sort of power brick unless you are trying to use a bus-powered device. Power bricks and the ubiquitous power bar usually combine for one hellacious mess of cables at the back of one's desk.

Chris