PDA

View Full Version : Time on Their Hands

Radagast
04-22-2001, 03:54 AM
My "family" of Macs literally includes those of two sons, a daughter, a daughter-in-law, a son-in-law, sister-in-law......you get the picture.

In all cases each one of us uses at least two drives, with most of the work being done by one and the other just storage or backup.

But when running OS X, which is especially lax on SCSI support as we all know, the second (or third or fourth or....) drive isn't mounting and is just grinding away.

Should I worry? Many of these drives are in G4, G3, 9500, UMAX s900, etc. towers and it isn't exactly handy to disconnect and reconnect them all the time. Is there any real wear I need to be concerned about? I realize a drive only has so many hours of lifetime, but it is certainly not uncommon for many to have a drive or two idling away its time under OS 9 (or 8 or 7 for that matter).

Thots? I would prefer not to use one of those utilities or Apple Scripts which unmounts/sleeps the unused drive(s). Startup items in my experience get broken too easily.

------------------
Jerry
G4 DP BTO Radeon
1GB RAM
Motley Drive Collection

[This message has been edited by Radagast (edited 22 April 2001).]

magician
04-23-2001, 01:39 AM
I can't say I'd get too concerned about it, Jerry, but then, I have to cover myself by saying that I haven't heard your drives, and mine certainly don't grind, that I have noticed, when running OSX. I am, it should be noted, only running it on "supported" machines: Gossamer and Yosemite.