PDA

View Full Version : vram or video card?

Stigma
03-29-2001, 05:28 PM
Ok, so I just upgraded the 7200/90 with an 8500 board and faster processor. Now I need the 2 vram sticks for it to run. Would I be better off buying a video card with some vram on it or the two vram sticks? Can I run a video card without vram? Which cards (that are cheap) will work? My whole plan was to have an inexpensive upgrade. So far I have $25 in the board and $50 in a 64 meg ram stick. Any advice?

Vince

MacMikester
03-29-2001, 07:08 PM
Hey Vince,

I think you would be better off with a PCI video card for several reasons:

1) you will have problems with video artifacts if you try to upclock or if you use a fast G3 or G4 upgrade with the 8500 MoBo video. This will not happen with a PCI card.

2)you have many more options with PCI cards, like 2D or 3D, TV in or out, etc.

3)I may an interesting option or two for sale int he "Items for Sale" forum topic under "Vintage Upgrade Parts for Vintage Macs". All that stuff was originally used to upgrade my 8500. In particular, I have an ixMicro TwinTurbo 2M card (2D only) that was noticeably faster at at scrolling and redraws than my original MoBo video. This card was made with 2MB VRAM soldered on it but was upgradeable to 4MB with standard Apple VRAM. I will sell the card with 4MB VRAM, including the two Apple VRAM modules that I originally had in the 8500. If you want cheap 3D also, you will see that I have a 12MB GameWizard Voodoo2 board you could add on. I have some cache modules too. I don't want a ton of money, check it out, lemme know.

Regards

Stigma
04-02-2001, 05:05 AM
What is the price on the video cards? Also, what are you asking for the 233 604e card? If you want to email me direct, it's vbloom@ductmate.com.
Thanks,
Vince

Rem
04-02-2001, 06:02 PM
I upped my old 8500 with a twinturbo and wasnt too impressed. I would definitely go with the voodoo if you are playing any movies, games, or using aps like photoshop. Adding Vram will just upp your rezolution and number of colors not increase speed. Or at least thats how I understood the old Vram in those machines.

Louie
04-02-2001, 07:35 PM
Good grief! The Twin Turbo dates back to about System 7.5 (1995/6) and never had provisions for 3D games. It still does a good job of 2D acceleration, but what do you expect??

Rem
04-02-2001, 08:10 PM
I realize that http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I meant that I wasn't that impressed with it in that time frame even. Meaning that when i paid 120 bucks for it, I didn't feel it was worth the money. Yeah it scrolled faster than the stock apple, yeah a photoshop comand took a 1/10th of a second less time to render....but all in all I didnt really notice the difference as a user-it didnt feel that much faster, smoother, or spiffier for the money. But the voodoo on the other hand will handle anything that computer can run.

Mactacular
04-20-2001, 10:52 PM
Get a 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 PCI video card @ Outpost.com for $144 w/ Quake 2, it rocks!