PDA

View Full Version : OS bus error 41...help!

s.d. finley
04-11-2001, 12:29 PM
My mac is giving me all kinds of problems, it will not boot. i keep getting os error 41.
i have tried to boot w/ extensions off, and i get the same error, and my mac suggest i try to boot w/ extensions off. what happens is G3 will go thru regular
boot sequence, load control panels and extension, then half-way thru the status
bar i will get the "sorry. system error 41" i click "restart" and it tells me its a "bus error".
I have tried to reload OS 9, from the cd, clean install, and overwrite, but it always freezes in the middle of reloading. This is driving me crazy!
The ONLY way i can get my mac to boot is from the os 9 cd.
The newest app i loaded was macsofts Quake, and it ran fine for a whole day.
Beige G3@466 MHZ
OS 9
384 MB RAM
ADVANSYS SCSI CARD
EXTERNALSCSI BOX W/ 2 DRIVES
Please help! i have no idea what now to do!!
thanx

sdf

Louie
04-11-2001, 08:17 PM
Bus Error 41 means it can't load the Finder. Try trashing the Finder preferences. If that doesn't work, I think you need a fresh install.

[This message has been edited by Louie (edited 18 April 2001).]

magician
04-14-2001, 06:13 AM
I would also simplify the system.

revert the Mac back to its most basic configuration, booting off a MacOS CD-ROM, and see if you can get the machine to behave normally.

if so, start adding devices and continue to test. If you can boot, and the Mac behaves properly when booting off a system CD, you know that your problem is very likely not with hardware, but purely in your system software, your extensions, or your disk drivers.

if your Mac still pukes when booting off a system CD, then you can assume that you may have a hardware problem.

first thing I would suspect would be the Advansys card. It may require a firmware update, or even merciless disposal via immolation.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

s.d. finley
04-18-2001, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys, i trashed the finder, and reloaded it via the cd, and its all good, i locked the finder too, it seems it was corrupted. As far as that blasted advansys card is concerned, i cannot get a firmware update for it, it has a hardware chip, the model i have came bundled w/ iomega jaz drive, connectcom, which bought out advansys does not support the card, they told me to call iomega, IO, says that there is not firmware update for the card, but i should update the driver, but i cannot find a driver only update on connectcom website!
arrrrggghh! immolation sounds like the only solution! time to get a new scsi card i guess.

sdf

Louie
04-18-2001, 09:29 PM
Iomega is headquartered in Utah; the main place for clean-living Mormons. I noticed throughout my long life a strange dicodomy that Utah also produces some of the country's biggest rip-off artists.

crazyeights
04-18-2001, 10:50 PM
immolation.......

another great word.

My $185 900Mhz digital spread spectrum piece of shit phone was ritually destroyed with a gleefilled hurl against a concrete walk, and then pummeled with a ball peen hammer. I think the next time I have need to offer a sacrifice to the technology gods, I need to finish with incineration.

I can then take the distorted remains and mount them on a piece of thin plywood, touch it up with paint, and sell it on e-bay as art.

Louie's "florfed" is still my favorite forum word to date.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Louie
04-18-2001, 11:58 PM
Imolation and incineration have distinct meanings to me. Incineration is usually a controlled burn in a designed device, normally out of the public view. Almost sounds like cremation doesn't it?

Imolation is what we watched the Buddhist monks do using gasoline in the streets in VietNam in protest of something.

magician
04-19-2001, 04:59 PM
I think incineration is, as Louie notes, a controlled burn in an actual facility or device. Immolation, for me, could be as simple as dousing something in kerosine and pitching it onto a blazing campfire. Of course, you could ritually douse it, and then ritually burn it, too, on an alter if you were so inclined, with any sort of incantations you felt were appropriate. That, too, would qualify as immolation, for me.

I guess incineration is much more clinical, and controlled.

Immolation involves bad intentions.

I think Advansys is one of those companies that needs to implode. They have sold a lot of garbage.