PDA

View Full Version : Netscape DNS problem



Stigma
04-10-2001, 05:03 AM
I'm having a problem getting netscape to run. The modem will dial up and connect, navigator will open, at the bottom of the window it reports host google contacted waiting for reply then just sits there. If checking new messages, it will read receiving message 1 of 3, but never receive anything. I tried reinstalling communicator with no luck. I reinstalled OS 9.0.4 on a clean install and it worked for a day. The next day it went back to not working. We thought it was a DNS problem as it would connect to sites that were just numbers, but not names. Last night, while trying it again, it would connect to google, but then not any other pages. Any ideas? The only change that preceeded all of this was changing the motherboard from a 7200/90 to an 8500/132.
Vince

angela
04-10-2001, 09:39 AM
Hi,

Perhaps you need to contact tech support at your ISP to verify your settings. What version of Communicator are you using?

Stigma
04-10-2001, 11:09 AM
Already contacted them and all the settings are correct. It's version 4.7.6.

jorge
04-10-2001, 12:43 PM
trash the Netscape preferences, cache, and the History file. recheck your setting and try again.

j

Stigma
04-10-2001, 03:41 PM
When I did the clean install on the OS, I also wiped out all of the netscape stuff on there and did a new install on that too.
Vince

angela
04-11-2001, 01:50 PM
This is baffling.... Are you using the most current driver for your modem? Maybe you should try reinstalling it too.

Also check the get info to find out how much memory is allocated, this could be a problem since Netscape requires a lot of memory to run properly. Maybe you need to bump up the memory.

[This message has been edited by angela (edited 11 April 2001).]

MacMikester
04-11-2001, 08:41 PM
Angela has a good thought. The plugins for any of the browsers add a lot of memory requirement. Things to try if that doesn't do it:

Go to VersionTracker.com and download OTTool or Interarchy or TraceRoute . Startup your dialup connection with the Remote Access control panel, then launch one of these guys and ping your ISP address, first by number address and then by name. See if the DNS can resolve the name. If not, you have a problem with the ISP server or your modem settings. If OK, you have some kind of problem with Netscape. Try Internet Exploder.

If it looks like your modem is the problem, post your modem type and init string. Further ideas will be forthcoming.

Regards

angela
04-11-2001, 09:05 PM
I agree with Macmikester that either your ISP or your modem script is generating the problem. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the modem to make sure the connection is secure. Sometimes cables can work themselves loose. How much memory do you have allocated to Netscape? Have you tried Explorer to see if it works with your connection?

Stigma
04-12-2001, 04:50 PM
I will try reconnecting the modem and up the memory to a few megs and see how that goes. Haven't tried IE.

Vince

angela
04-12-2001, 05:54 PM
Explorer is much more stable than Netscape. Try it, you might like it.

Captain Ahab
04-13-2001, 10:05 AM
I would definitely try all the things others have suggested, but I had a similar problem a while back. One day I went to check my mail (Nutscrape 4.7.6) and it took forever to connect to the mail server (forever on a DSL line is 10-15 min)and somtimes it never would connect. I could surf some web pages but others would never load and some (like this site) that I visit everyday were loading a lot slower then before.

After a lot of phone calls to my ISP tech-support (who kept telling me it "had" to be on my end) and re-install's and hair pulling I finally hooked up my daughters iMac (which had never been connected to the internet) with the same OS, Nutscrape version, etc. and tried it. Same thing. It was then that I tried testing the connection with Interarchy and TraceRoute, which came up with a problem with the "reverse name" for my computer on the DNS.

After reporting this to my ISP they admitted there was a problem on their end. I would test the connection with those or similar programs as MacMikester suggested. My ISP could not reslove the problem, they are my old ISP now.

Good luck

angela
04-13-2001, 11:48 AM
Bravo, good that you wre able to discern that the problem was with the ISP. ISPs are famous for saying that the problem is on your end. Best wishes with the new ISP.

MacMikester
04-15-2001, 10:36 PM
Many ISPs do not support Reverse DNS and this can be a problem with ftp servers that require this before a download can be initiated. In fact , it was a big problem for me using Smart Update to get Netscape 4.x.x. updates since my ISP did not support Reverse DNS and the Netscape server required it to verify a US address for downloading the versions with strong encryption when these versions could not be distributed outside the US. At least the techs at my ISP were good enough to get the updates and post them on a server so I could eventually get them. I've not heard of this problem with mail servers but I don't see why it could not be a problem for some.

Reverse DNS supplies the name and some info about the connecting server when requested by the target server.

Stigma
04-16-2001, 04:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for their help. Without doing anything to it, it has settled down and is working fine now. I will get the OT tool thing and try that just for kicks. The whole thing of it being transient makes me think it's more on the ISP side.

Vince