PDA

View Full Version : A Retrospect question(s)

pixpicker
04-08-2001, 11:34 AM
I have a three Mac network at home with two Compaq SDT7000 DAT drives each connected to a different computer. When I try to backup one of the computers, and the various drives connected to it using Retrospect 4.3, it freezes on a random file when in the "Comparing" phase of the backup. When I use the other computer (with the other DAT) to backup the same drives over the network it works flawlessly. What do you think - hardware or software?

Another Retrospect question. When selecting the "Source" for backup it lists all the available drives and will allow you to select some of them only if they are in sequence. For example, if there are five drives listed and you want to backup 1,2 and 4, it allows you to shift click 1 and 2 but selects 1 through 4 when you shift click on 4. Confusing? You bet but what am I missing here? BTW, if you click hold on any of the selections you get a hand that you would think should allow you to change the order of the drives on the list - but it doesn't.

ChrisYip
04-08-2001, 06:16 PM
No idea about part 1 - short of some SCSI voodoo perhaps.. BUT.. the second part - you should be able to change the order by simply clicking and dragging w/ the hand the ICON - not the label, even though they are both highlighted.. that should work - I've done that for my network backups...

HTH

Chris

pixpicker
04-08-2001, 08:22 PM
Chris...tried it every which way with the hand but no go. That's true on both machines.

MacMikester
04-08-2001, 10:53 PM
Hey pp,

Like Chris, I suspect some SCSI voodoo making Retrospect choke. As far as selecting multiple noncontiguous items, many current apps, including Retrospect, use Command(Apple Key)-click to do this. Shift-click will only highlight contiguous items, as you have seen.

Regards

jorge
04-09-2001, 07:56 AM
does Retrospect have built in support for the Compaq drive? They may have a driver update available for that drive.

j

ChrisYip
04-09-2001, 08:29 AM
What combinations have you tried

Computer 1 + Dat 1
Computer 1 + Dat 2
Computer 2 + Dat 1
Computer 2 + Dat 2
Computer 3 + Dat 1
Computer 3 + Dat 2

? What I wonder is - is it the computer or the DAT drive itself that is at fault?..since you can get the one machine to talk to the DAT and backup without a problem...

Chris

pixpicker
04-09-2001, 10:19 AM
Command key it is! Thanks Mac. Retrospect does support the Compaq DAT and I'll check their site for an updated driver. However, it did work before on the same computer. I've been avoiding doing swaps because each DAT is in an enclosure with other drives and the process of switching becomes involved. It may be inevitable though. I thought of SCSI voodoo as well but everything else in the enclosure is behaving itself. I have the chain physically terminated with an old Syquest which is working as well. I may try to reload the software before I get into major surgery.

magician
04-09-2001, 12:35 PM
you could always swap cables and terminators as a quick test to see if they are involved before getting into the gnarlier possibilities.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

pixpicker
04-09-2001, 01:36 PM
Good point, Magic. I'll try that when I get home. Still rocked over the command key solution. Must have fooled with every key combo I could think of except that. Humbling bordering on humiliating.

pixpicker
04-12-2001, 08:50 AM
SCSI voodoo indeed. At least that's what I hope it was. I swapped a cable and repositioned the terminator and Retrospect did a flawless backup on the DAT in question. The verification moved at a snail's pace and eventually froze the first time around. I ran it again over night successfully. Further testing required!

kaye
04-12-2001, 11:53 AM
Any of the computers have a G3/G4 card? My recollection is that Retrospect requires write-through enabled, particularly for the verification stage. Anyway, that's what I do. k

pixpicker
04-13-2001, 08:37 PM
Kaye....I'm not sure what you mean by write-through enabled. Retrospect works perfectly in all phases on the DAT connected to the 6110 with a Newer G3 upgrade card. It became troublesome on the B&W G3 with Adaptec 2930U SCSI card. The verification is incredibly slow. What am I missing?

magician
04-14-2001, 06:00 AM
i think you are on the right track, already.

sometimes, simply disassembling, cleaning, inspecting, and carefully reattaching devices, swapping out cables and terminators, or even changing the device order or ID's of devices, can have positive impact.

we've already established that sunspots and other mystifying phenomena can affect hardware.....we should not discount the possibility that cat hair may be fouling a pin, or dust may be clogging a connector, or you may even have microfractures in a cable wire which interrupt signals only when the cable is bent a certain way.

who knows?

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ChrisYip
04-14-2001, 05:23 PM
I'm going to join into this fray.. my previously flawless VXA array has now bitten the big twinkie as it were..

Retrospect is locking up JUST as it starts to try backing up a network client - seems to be O.K. for the local clients... What odd is that if I take away the two internal VXA drives that are in the Burly and bolt my external VXA directly to the Miles2 AND with a GD 1015 terminator indicating LVD status, I still get it locking up. But what I do get now, is improved local backup.. rather than stalling forever and showing me a transfer rate of 0.4 MB / min, I can now get 19 MB / min... I even throttled back the Miles2 so it's set at 40 rather than 80 for the drive...

Crap..

Could it be that I have bad SCSI cables internally on the array ( I am using granite) or it's too long? or????

Chris

ChrisYip
04-14-2001, 10:03 PM
A follow-up - oddly enough - when I use the external switches on my external VXA drive to set the SCSI ID - it remains at 11, i.e. the default one.. how odd.

Chris