PDA

View Full Version : Need for Speed

asianenvoy
04-10-2001, 07:05 PM
I have a Wallstreet PowerBook, a PowerTools (Motorola motherboard), and a 6100av. I want the most ram in each, the largest hard drive in each, the fastest CPU upgrade in each, and firewire. What are my options? How much will I need to spend (please remember I am in Korea and what ever you tell me I will have to double it due to shipping and taxes). Thank you .... it is impossible to get this information here from local sources.

------------------
Lee, Dae Bit
SunCool
Global Market
Eagle Aerospace
Nu Oil Petroleum

kaye
04-10-2001, 09:56 PM
Let me get you started with the 6100av.

RAM: get two SIMM 64MB, 72 pin, 70ns $138.99 ea, for 128MB total + 8MB of mobo soldered RAM. There is a message here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/obj_show_page.cgi?main.html that the 6100 can use 64MB SIMMs, but you need to purchase a matched pair. Note also, you want 60ns because of your G3 upgrade. So, in the Remarks of your order, specify 60ns as needed. No extra charge.

G3: Crescendo G3 NuBus 6100/7100/8100 500MHz/1MB L2 @ 2.5:1 $489.99 ea. seen here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?sonnet.html . Just specify that you have a 6100av.

Hard Drive: Barracuda ST318417N 18.4GB 2048k 8.5ms 7200rpm Narrow, Seagate Barracuda 18GB 8-bit Narrow $278.99 ea seen here http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?mg_hdseagates.html

k

[This message has been edited by kaye (edited 10 April 2001).]

Louie
04-10-2001, 10:21 PM
Lee:

Kaye listed items for 6100AV only. Someone else will have to comment on the other two machines.

I have many good friends from KAL from three tours in your country and from VietNam. I'm sure that most are retired now.

kaye
04-13-2001, 11:36 AM
Can anyone help him with absolutely fastest/most upgrades for the Wallstreet PowerBook or a PowerTools (Motorola motherboard)? And which PowerTools model are we discussing? Need more info asianenvoy. k

PENDRAGON18
04-13-2001, 01:09 PM
The Wallstreet should go upto 512MB with 2x256MB SO DIMMS - I think they need to be 66 or 83Mhz - so if he has an 83MHz board PC100 SO DIMM should do the trick. I do not have a Wallstreet, but I do have a PISMO. Anyway I think the Power Logix 'BLUE CHIP' G3 (is there a G4? and if so are there any issues with G4's?) will work with his setup. For HDs - I think he can go with a 30GB 2.5" form factor, maybe IBM or Toshiba model. For Firewire and USB he should be able to get PCIMCIA cards - (cardbus). Not sure if he would need one card for each or if there is a combo or even if he could run both at the same time... wait doesnt the Wallstreet have built-in USB?

Of course it the 6100 will not go to USB, Firewire or much of anything else - but it could be a great little server or whatever with a fast G3, plenty of RAM and a nice big HD. Remember with the narrow SCSI bus you could hang upto 7 devices. He could also get a 40x plextor to round it out... I think the SCSI bus is limited to 5MB/s, but its still faster than USB at 1.5MB/s and if its running over a network your only going to get 10Mbps anyway. Its really amazing what you can do with 7+ year old Apple hardware.

That was not very specific, but it should get you guys pointed in the right direction... now for something less specific.

I think all the MOTO boards had soldered on CPUs - so you need a L2 G3 upgrade for a CPU upgrade. They also have PCI slots, so you should be able to add a USB and Firewire card - or a combo card. Be careful though as some PCI buses do not like combo cards in certain slots - like the S900/J700's lower slots. I think I remember reading that some MOTO boards use a similar bridge chip, but who knows? I would also assume that the MOTO board has built-in narrow SCSI - so you could get the same narrow Cuda for your MOTO. If it has IDE/ATA you could probably go with an ATA/33~66 drive: large, fast & cheap. You could even try adding a PCI IDE/ATA card - allowing up to 4 HDs (normally removables/cds/dvds are NOT supported, but sometimes they work) to run upto ATA/66 (66MB/s) speeds. Most of these old macs were built for SCSI and they can often have issues (timeing, dropped audio, frames, etc) with IDE/ATA drives. You could then go with the Miles U2W card and get some killer U160 drives or faster. This can be expensive, but the Miles U2W is a good deal. I would guess that this board uses 60ns EDO, but I am not sure of the voltage - it could be 3.3 or maybe 5.0v. RAM for these old systems is fairly expensive, but it probably has 4 DIMM slots, so I bet you could go 64MBx4 or maybe even 128MBx4. You would also probably want to get a good video card. Right now your options are:
Voodoo3 - discontinued, never officially supported, but it normally works great. You need to get a flasher program to convert it from PC to Mac. These run from $50 to $80USD.
Voodoo4 or 5 - Well 3Dfx is dead, so of course there is no support any more. They cards work well and the drivers are more mature than the V3 - although I've used the VSA100 (4&5) drivers with a V3 - you just get fewer options, but it seems to work fine. There have been issues with legacy macs and the 2nd 3D Graphics processor in the V5. I think they fixed this with the 1.1.0 release. I'm running 1.1.2. I've seen the V5 go for $99 on Deal-Mac and as much as $150 a few weeks ago. The V4 is like the V5, but only has 1GPU and 1/2 the VRAM.
ATI RAGE128: I've only seen new cards at the Apple store and you can not get them separately. It has great 2D and ATI has finally optimized the drivers for these card (took them 18 months). They go for $150 at the Apple store, you may be able to get a used one (ebay?) for $100. Some Apple OEM cards came with a built-in DVD hardware decoder... those card ROCK, but I'm not sure if your system could take advantage of it. The Rage128PRO is AGP ONLY so that will not work.
PCI RADEON is a much better card in terms of 3D, but for 2D it is almost the same. This goes for about $200 or so. There is a rebate of $30... this is a good card for games (like the Voodooos) but also has support (but it will probably take ATI 9 to 12 months to perfect the drivers).
GeForce2-mx this card comes standard with any new G4. Its fast and the drivers seem better than ATIs. It is mostly AGP, but I think there may be some PC PCI versions and I hear that some work on the Mac... this is probably more risky than flashing a V3, though.
ForMac Performance3 These are the fastest 2D cards around... and you can still get them from Gurus (I think).... The drivers need some work (I hear) but if you are not a gamer and dont mind spending a bit extra this is a good card. I think they go for about $200 and up... maybe less. Their Peformance4 is AGP only I think and its about ~$600USD, maybe more.

If your MOTO does not have a daughter card slot for a CPU upgrade I would consider selling it and using that money to get say - a Beige Tower or even a B&W tower... they are getting cheap and its so much easier and cheaper to upgrade + everything is faster.

gl

------------------
Have fun storming the castle!

magician
04-14-2001, 06:07 AM
personally....I think I would skip upgrades to these machines.....you are very likely to spend more on them than the machines are worth themselves. While the Wall Street is the most viable....it, too, is aging quickly, and PowerBooks tend to age less gracefully, purely because they are portables, and are liable to get banged around more. It is the rare PowerBook that doesn't get dropped at least once or twice in its lifetime, if not more.

just my 2-cents.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Louie
04-14-2001, 01:41 PM
Magician:

In Korea and other countries, older Macs are kept in use longer than in the US because of supply and other economics factors.