PDA

View Full Version : Need upgrade help

king
04-14-2001, 05:00 AM
I have the first breed low end G4 and want to start doing some serious digital video editing. I know I need another hard drive. I've got 10G of whatever it came with. ATA something or other 5,400 rpm? Anyway. I have no idea what kind I should get. At least 30G, I'm sure. But what kind? Is SCSI an option? Yes, I'm clueless. Any info would be muchly appreciated.

magician
04-14-2001, 05:50 AM
you can start with any IDE drive from our IDE page (http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/showrampage.cgi?idepagesofheck.html)....SCSI is faster, but it is also more expensive. At this point, for you, IDE will probably be fast enough. You need raw storage more than you need raw speed, at this point....others may disagree, but I think your first investment should be in a larger IDE drive....maybe a 60GB Maxtor or 75GB IBM. You can always add a pair of Cheetahs internally later to accelerate your compression/decompression and rendering.

you should probably consider 256MB main memory the minimum, though video apps like FCP and Premiere will certainly use all you can throw at them. Fortunately, it is a great time to buy SDRAM (http://www.macgurus.com/shoppingcart/obj_show_page.cgi?yosemitesdram.html) for those machines, with 256MB DIMMs close to a hundred bucks each.

so. At this point, your priority should be to ensure you have at least 256MB main memory, or more, and disk space.

that's the foundation. You can scale upwards from there.

TZ
04-14-2001, 12:44 PM
ATA/100 firewire bridge drives offering higher sustained rates are just coming out. You can buy pre-config or build your own. I like the Deskstar 75GXP but the 45GB model had some problems and IBM now has 60GXP series. And yes, it is newer, but lower number. Tom's Hardware and StorageReivew have stuff on the newest IDE drives.

Yikes! -? definitely want bigger/faster ATA/100 drive. I just read someone say how 1GB RAM really makes a big diff in PhotoShop never needing to use disk for scratch I/O. Esp before RAM prices rise more (creeping on Crucial lately).

You can go with FireWire RAID, IDE hardware PCI RAID controllers. or SCSI.

I wish I'd even known about SoftRAID - and that I could install and use it on standard HFS+ scsi - but I keep adding to my 'vocabulary' every month.

Gregory