PDA

View Full Version : G4 Powerbook glitches.

mjn111
03-11-2001, 01:03 PM
I have just read the MacIntouch info on PowerBook G4 problems, case flexing; CD/DVD insert/reject snags; dead pixels; power cut offs and tardy tech help etc. etc. etc. Enough to cause me to hesitate before buying one yet, if at all.

Is there anyone who has got a non glitch version or is it best to wait a year before buying? Are all new Macs as fragile and glitch ridden?

mjn111 http://www.macgurus.com/ubb/confused.gif

Michael
03-11-2001, 11:23 PM
i've got a TI. a 500mz. have had it for about 3 weeks. i travel with it every week. work with it almost every day. case flexing....depends what you use it for i suppose.i mean there is a certain amount of flex in the case since it's made of a Titanium alloy which is by nature softer than say cast iron. quite a bit lighter also. i guess if you are trying to use it as a pry bar or a TV dinner tray, or maybe drum exercise pad you'd notice some flex. i just use mine to run apps with, watch movies, write docs and edit videos.. for now. works fine.

CD/DVD snags. again....there is a certain finesse needed to load the player. you have to introduce the CD/DVD with enough firmness that the device grabs it and then you have to let go.the machine does the rest. if you continue to shove hard or push faster, i suppose you could run into some snagging or so. pixel cut-offs. exactly what are you referring to? and as far as apple tech help is concerned, isn't that an oxymoron?

my point. it's a great machine. sexy/state of the art. fast. nimble. beautiful. up there with the best. the operative word though is...machine. it's a machine. and it needs to be handled with some respect.
if i'm having any problems.. they're related to software issues between OS9.1 and some of the programs i'm trying to shunt over from my desktop where i'm still running 9.04
if you have the money.. buy it. you won't regret it. enjoy it and listen to all those who can't shout sour grapes.
http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

M

mjn111
03-12-2001, 02:36 PM
Thanks Michael, "Sexy" you say, mmmm. Well apart from that you have helped a lot. It's good to hear your personal experience with the PBG4.

Martin

Michael
03-13-2001, 03:44 PM
as a matter of fact, the sexiness quoitient of the TI is a very strong feature and according to none other than Jobs himself a main design requisite. he wanted it to compete with the Sony Vaio. which it does splendidly. when you like the look and feel of a tool, you will be more apt to use it. besides, it generates a satisfying amount of envy in airport frequent flyer lounges. that alone is almost worth the price of entry.
so, yes sexy...
M

jorge
03-13-2001, 06:22 PM
Michael,
mine has shipped and just arrived in Alaska. Hopefully, it will not be delayed in customs and I should have it in two days.

j

cisbell
04-03-2001, 11:42 AM
I've had a TiPB since mid March and WOW! Sweet machine.Like any Mac, it does have it's flaws but it's benefits way outweight it's flaws. As with any computer, I always expect problems, crashes and failures. I can honestly say though, my Macs fail far less and since mid March, I've only had to force quit and reboot the TiPB once!

Michael
04-04-2001, 10:02 PM
anybody have any suggestions on redundant extensions in the Ti?
M