PDA

View Full Version : Best NIC for PTPro250 with XLR8 G4-450

cisbell
04-03-2001, 10:49 AM
Hello everyone, new to the forum and was an instant convert after speaking with Steve at MacGurus about some upgrade issues. You guys know your stuff! No doubt about it!

Anyway, I have a PT Pro 250 that recently, with Steve's assistance, started working with my new XLR8 Carrier MPe G4 450 card. After moving my ATI Radeon card, Sonnet Tempo Ultra/ATA card and Radius MotoDV card to the first three slots to accomodate BUS mastering, I now discover that the MacAlly LN-PCI 100 (10/100) NIC card causes the system to freeze. I've tried it in the last and third to the last of the remaining three slots with the same result.

Does anyone know of any issues that could cause this setup to hang, or is that a Piece Of S card? Should I use a better brand such as an Asante or Farallon card? Any input would be appreciated. For now, I run on built-in 10 Base-T but I need to connect back to my 100 network. This appears to be my last remaining upgrade issue that for the last four days has caused headaches.

Thanks all!

kaye
04-03-2001, 03:30 PM
Sometimes you just have to shuffle these cards around. Let's see if I have this straight:

S1 ATI Radeon card (Busmaster slot)
S2 Sonnet Tempo Ultra/ATA card
S3 Radius MotoDV card
S4 MacAlly LN-PCI 100 (10/100) NIC card (tried it here) (Busmaster slot)
S5
S6 MacAlly LN-PCI 100 (10/100) NIC card (tried it here)

Is this correct? k

cisbell
04-03-2001, 03:41 PM
That's an affirmative! Did not try slot five since 4 & 6 did not work and I needed to get back to work! Run my own company. Each time testing shuts me down for an hour or so.

I can tell you the Tempo card was moved first with the ATI second and the Mac would not boot. Seems the XLR8 card at least likes the the 1/2 arrangement.

Should I try the NIC card in slot 3 and the MotoDV in 4? What other configs would be most likely?

Thanks.

kaye
04-03-2001, 03:57 PM
Since the cards in S1 thru S3 like those slots and coexist together, for the moment, I would spot-weld them there, as in don't move them.

At what point does the system freeze, with the MacAlly installed, during startup?

When I add or move a card, I either do a Cuda Reset, holding the button for 30 seconds or longer with the machine shutdown, or startup holding down Command-option-P-R until after the third startup chime, then release the keys. This flushes/zaps PRAM and NVRAM and forces the computer to start from scratch and look for everything onboard. It takes longer for this startup while the computer searches for everything.

Also try slot 5, but also retry slots 6 and 4. But moving the card around, do one of the above procedures to zap PRAM/NVRAM.

Anyone have any experience with the MacAlly card, or other ideas? k

cisbell
04-03-2001, 04:22 PM
Thanks Kaye,

I'll try what you mentioned. The machine does not have a problem booting or initially running with the card installed. The freezing usually takes a moment or two after reaching the desktop.

It appears to also happen when the machine engages in any sort of network activity. i.e. if I surf the net or if the machine goes out to update the system clock via apple's network time server.

I'll usually be able to surf a few pages, then boom!, all locked up. Are you saying to hold PRAM keys through three boot cycles for three chimes? Or, should I only hold the CUDA switch for 30 sec. to achieve the same results?

kaye
04-03-2001, 05:59 PM
One method or the other, your choice, not both. But the fact that you are getting to the desktop makes me think something else is going on. Sounds like we need a network guru. k

Louie
04-03-2001, 10:10 PM
What speed is the network, 10 Base T cable, etc. Does the card have to negotiate the rate? Does everything run OK till it has to negotiate. MacAlly stuff never rocked my boat. Farallon is my favorite. The just released a new driver today.

cisbell
04-03-2001, 11:39 PM
The card is set to auto negotiate but all devices on the network have 10/100 cards and run at 100. That's not to say I've never noticed a dip into 10-T, but I'm positive it's running 100-T. My net connection is SDSL running at 1.5 Mbps. Everyone knows Macs are chatty, so I would assume it's always trying to do somethng network related that might be causing the problem.

I haven't had a chance yet to implement Kaye's suggentions because I'm in the middle of a job and can't take the machine offline. I went with MacAlly because I needed the card now and it was the only thing MicroCenter had on the shelf when I bought it. Otherwise I would have ordered an Asante or Farallon card. I am a little miffed at the fact that MacAlly has not updated it's driver for the card since mid last year. Surely, there has to be some software conflict somewhere.

cisbell
04-04-2001, 08:58 AM
Just tried Kaye's options. None worked. I still get the same problem, Mac boots fine, runs fine, launch web browers and within a minute or two, locks up. Last thing I'm going to try is emailing MacAlly about a software update. If all else fails, buy a new card. MacGuru carry NICs?

Anyone still have other ideas?

magician
04-04-2001, 09:06 PM
hey....

are you CERTAIN that your Mac is utterly stable without the NIC installed?

if that's the case, I think your approach is viable: either update the driver, or migrate to another NIC.

the problem....as I see it....is that the lower three slots will be problematic with that G4 installed, and there's not a dang thing that can be done about it, really.

have you tried with the MotoDV in the lower three, and the NIC in the upper three?

most NICs are not supposed to be bus hogs....

if your Mac really, really rocks without the NIC....I hate to say it, but it could be a sacrifice that needs to be made, if the trade-off is worth it.

you could always step over to a CarrierZIF G3 500, which lacks AltiVec, but also has no problems with boards in all six slots.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif