PDA

View Full Version : "HOT" HD in upper Beige G3

macsheep
03-30-2001, 12:39 PM
I want to add an Atlas II 10,000 RPM 36 GB Hard Drive to my Beige G3 in place of the stock HD. It looks to me like that top upper spot where the OEM drive now resides is a pretty dead air space. That is, I can't see where it gets any airflow. Do you think I can safely add a "hot" 10k hard drive to that space without adding some additional cooling?

magician
03-30-2001, 01:45 PM
if you mean on top of the power supply in a beige G3 minitower, I would not recommend using that drive there.

you can use it in one of the main bays under the CD-ROM, if you have a minitower. If you have a desktop....I wouldn't use it. Too hot.

macsheep
03-30-2001, 11:40 PM
How about if I hang a big honking 110v fan on the outside of the case on top of the existing power supply exhaust fan to draw air out. It has to draw most air out of the power supply but there are holes in the back of the case where the hard drive sits above the power supply, maybe this fan would suck some air out over the hard drive too?

spaz2
03-31-2001, 12:48 AM
Sounds kinda loud.

macsheep
04-02-2001, 05:55 PM
I just tried one. They are very loud. Like a jet engine warming up. I'm going to give in and install the hard drive in the front bay mounted in a bay/harddrive cooler.