PDA

View Full Version : mouse slow down

mfimages
02-27-2001, 02:33 PM
recently while working on my avid/9600/350 my mouse came unplugged from the back of the keyboard.
i plugged it back in and restarted. now my mouse was back working but after @ 2hrs it got very sluggish... so i restarted my mac and viola everything was fine until....now my mouse gets sluggish in @ 1 hr ! any ideas? did my prefs get corrupted??? what pref should i trash???
thanks for any help
mf

Louie
02-27-2001, 05:56 PM
That's a possibility. Try trashing the Mouse preferences.

mactheripper
02-27-2001, 09:30 PM
I don't think trashing mouse prefs would have an effect on a slowdown. The system polls the mouse every so many clock ticks, so a slow mouse indicates system slowdown, not bad prefs. Have you recently added large files to the hard drive or started using additional programs open at the same time? A full hard drive can cause that problem or one like it.

Or, your mouse ball could be gunked up. What kind of mouse is it?

mfimages
02-28-2001, 08:19 PM
thanks for the info...it's a plain apple* vanilla mouse ...maybe it's time for upgrade???

02-28-2001, 11:23 PM
What happened when you trashed the mouse preferences? PRAM zap?

I would think one or both would do the trick. You might try plugging the mouse into the other ADB port on your keyboard.

chrismenke
03-09-2001, 02:58 PM
I've got smothing similar...
I use an ADB switcher to control my three desktop macs from one mouse/kybd. Everything is fine, until the switch is invoked, at which point, two of the machines (the 9500 mutt, and the PowerTower) slow down, while my 7200 maintains performance.

This is erratic, and is always fixed by restart, however removal of the adb link at the switch makes it consistently reproducible.

I suppose it is still better than my blasted NT box. Unplug the mouse, plug it back in, and 'NT has detected new hardware. Please restart'. Piece of &^#$!

It would be nice to keep tracking up to speed...

[This message has been edited by chrismenke (edited 20 March 2001).]

kaye
03-09-2001, 04:38 PM
c,

I'm curious about that switcher. Can you give me a brand/model number or as much as you can? I know that before USB there was a Mac that was ADB port hot swappable, but not vintage Macs. I'm just wondering how this switch works. A switch that would make-before-break I guess would be OK. but a break-before-make type switch would not. Have heard stories about people unplugging and plugging ADB devices with never a problem. Others have had serious bad luck. k

kaye
03-09-2001, 04:56 PM
WallStreet PowerBooks, Powerbook G3 (except Bronze keyboard models which have USB) have hot-swappable ADB. k

chrismenke
03-20-2001, 06:16 AM
Kaye,

I've tossed the box, and the switch itself is generic. I think the reason it has no disastrous effects on the bus, is it maintains a signal level to each of the three machines at all times.

I have found an OLD extension to fix my problem known as Mouse2.

Here is the url for the switch: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1217005623

If you wanna buy one and play with it, the seller has my seal 'o approval!

Cheers,
Chris

kaye
03-20-2001, 10:38 AM
Chris,

I recognize it. Got one in my parts bin somewhere. Don't remember whether it worked OK for me or not. k

chatwood2
03-20-2001, 03:53 PM
I found this on Tucows.com from a search of "ADB":

________
Description: Rejuvenator will refresh your screen or screens on your Macintosh, cleaning up any errors left by applications that have crashed. Programmers will also find Rejuvenator useful for checking redraw routines for windows and dialogs.

Reinitiator will reinitialise your ADB on demand, curing those misbehaving ADB devices. If you have ever experienced a slow mouse after it has become disconnected, Reinitiator will restore it to its former speed.

Warning: Always shutdown your Macintosh before connecting or disconnecting ADB devices.
________

The creators page is here: http://www.golden-lion.freeserve.co.uk/Downloads/Rejuvenator.htm

I can't put a link to Tucows because of their mirroring system, so you can either search there on "ADB" or download the program from the creators site, it is only 9 KB so it is a quick download.

- Chris

[This message has been edited by chatwood2 (edited 20 March 2001).]

crazyeights
03-22-2001, 01:51 AM
As kaye and chatwood mentioned, when hot plugging a vintage mac ADB, it's possible, and in certain circumstances becomes a distinct possibility, that you will toast your I/O. It is generally NOT recomended. It is not at all unusual to get away with it for awhile, and then that one time......pfffffffffffft!!!!

I'm not sure if that's a new mobo or not. Louie or kaye, is adb I/O a smaller subsystem board, or is it integrated on the mobo? Just curious

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 22 March 2001).]

magician
03-22-2001, 12:43 PM
generally ADB is on the logic board. I forget the name of the chipset....is it Curio? Sheesh. My memory is really, really getting bad.

I'm going to a sleep clinic next month....hopefully I'll still have some brain cells left.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kaye
03-22-2001, 03:34 PM
I think you are correct, magician, Curio. On the PTP, all the I/O is on the mobo. On the S900, there is a separate I/O board, just above PCI slot 1, I think called Apollo. But ADB is still on the mobo. k

crazyeights
03-23-2001, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

Mag, have you tried accupuncture? Actually, more accurately Traditional Chinese Medicine and accupuncture, which is different than just accupuncture. If you go to a good (experienced) practitioner, they can do wonders for sleep problems with accupucture and herbs.

dy

magician
03-23-2001, 08:18 AM
dave, I actually had a client years ago that was totally into the whole yoga thing, accupuncture, all that stuff...his wife was an actual doctor from China....with Chinese degrees.....and let me just say that their form of medicine is very different from ours.

pursuing that line of health would have required life changes.....life changes that would have been great, but that also would have required time, and geographical adjustments. I mean, I couldn't just get up and do Tai Chi every morning at the center, then go to work....drinking my herbal tea, eating my macrobiotic tofu lunch and stuff.....getting accupunture or massage every afternoon....then doing yoga in the evening. It wouldn't work.

anyway, one day I was over there helping out with a network problem, and his wife took me up to a room with a hard table on it, and proceeded to stick needles in me. I was out like a light. She woke me up like 20 or 30 minutes later, and man, I felt like a new man. My mind was clear....I was incredibly refreshed....I never forgot it. I have no idea what she did, but there is something to accupuncture that is valid and real and not understood by Western science or popular American culture.

Maybe there will be a clinic in Big Tuna...or Boseman....or Livingston....or Libby, Montana?

I should check into that.

good idea.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Michael
03-23-2001, 08:46 AM
no disrespect intended, but youcould get the same refreshing feeling with a 20-30minute nap. (apparently Edison only napped. he had a cot in his lab and very hour or so he would nap for 5 -15 minutes.) it can't be more than 20-30 though. after taht you go into a full sleep cycle which takes at least 2 hours to complete. if you interrup that cycle, you will feel incredibly groogy and tired.

there isn't a huge secret to Chinese medicine. lot's of common sense though. daily excercise, featuring limbering and stretching (yoga;tai chi) to promote flexibility and blood flow to the peripherals; vegetarian diet, whose primary benefit is complex carbohydrates, and reduced saturated fats, moderation; and meditative time to unplug and watch the world go by. important for mental and emotional health.

acupuncture works, though it is primarily temporary i think. it must somehow short circuit electronic pain flow. thye do open heart surgery on patients fully awake with only acupuncture as anesthetic. there is much to learn about the human being.

M

MacMikester
03-23-2001, 10:08 PM
Grasshopper agree......much to learn..

crazyeights
03-24-2001, 02:51 AM
Wow Mag, sounds like your friends wife knew her stuff. When a person is over tired, a few needles can balance things out which would take us about a week of deliberate rest, food and relaxation to get to.

Accupuncture for pain and anesthesia is really more of a western orientation to Chinese medicine. In fact, after the cultural revolution, the Chinese government tried to eradicate the legacy of indigenous chinese medicine, and institute western medicine, and they literally created a medical disaster. By the time they realized they screwed up big time, things were pretty bad among the population. They managed to find a bunch of the "old school" practitioners, and codified a system they dubbed "Traditional Chinese Medicine", which is, for the most part, the model which is taught in the schools in the US and China.

The diagnostic paradigm, and using needling and herbal pharmacology in a cohesive treatment strategy is really quite a bit more advanced than the analgesic applications of accupuncture, although from a western perspective, that is a more obvious example of TCM's efficacy. As Michael said, what a trip it would be to be awake and have heart or brain surgery, "while you watch". One of the advantages of accu-anesthesia, is if they bump or disturb something that is not part of the operation target, the patient feels pain and can say OW!!! They then know to be more careful.

Anyway (sorry, I get a little carried away. I study this stuff.), if you're having trouble getting your heart/mind to chill at night so you can sleep soundly, TCM, in the hands of someone who is GOOD, would do you wonders Mag. I have some of the same deal myself, but part of my problem is I just like to stay up too damn late. Sleep is a novel idea Michael http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif!!!!!

When are you plannin to make the move to Montana Mag? Accupuncture is really becoming pretty widely available. 10 years ago there were 2-3 decent practitioners in KC,MO, and now there's 10-15 and growing. In minneapolis, one of the downtown hospitals has an accupuncture department. So yeah, should be some folks in Montana.

c8

[This message has been edited by crazyeights (edited 24 March 2001).]

magician
03-25-2001, 04:59 PM
I am shocked.....open heart surgery?

damn.

that's encouraging, Dave....how come you study this stuff? This is just one of the things you are into?

I'm curious....Michael...how Western medical science views auras, and the chakras?

I have no idea how integral this stuff is to TCM, as dave puts it....but my pal's wife had a whole thing going where she looked at my aura, shifted around a little to see it from different angles, and came up with info that factored into her (disturbingly accurate) diagnosis.

it spooked the shit out of me.

http://macgurus.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif